+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Trane S-Series CenTraVac

Post Likes
    That is the chiller I saw in the factory. I wasn't supposed to notice it. I asked Dave and Tom what was up with the new bench grinder, they said they would have to kill me if they told me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    That is the chiller I saw in the factory. I wasn't supposed to notice it. I asked Dave and Tom what was up with the new bench grinder, they said they would have to kill me if they told me.
    Saw a chiller at the york factory in San Antonio in 2008. The compressor was on the chiller like a YK. but had an impeller on each end of the motor like a double ender. They wouldn't talk about it either. I was on a tour with other sales guys, it surprised them that a couple of us (ex techs) noticed it.
    Nos operor non pensio volutabrum

Post Likes
    Looks interesting, tonnage range is limited like the York machine. Be real interested to see the numbers though...
    Here is a link to Trane's earlier thoughts on maglev technology.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x0MrD...ature%3Drelmfu
    Listen to them talk about open drive motors and maglev technology!
    Superheat, that must be REALLY hot.

Post Likes
    Well, this new machine looks cool and all, but do they have any long term solution as far as refrigerant goes? R-11 is still readily available 20 years after production ended. R-123 will probably be the same, but when the average life span of a water cooled centrifugal chiller is 20-30 years, who is going to buy a new machine that uses an obsolete refrigerant as we get closer to 2020? It'd be great if they could come up with some new HFC low pressure refrigerant that could be used in this and the other centravacs going forward. Trane's argument against high pressure has always been "what's more environmentally friendly than a refrigerant that stays inside the chiller?" If they are going to move to high pressure in the future, are they going to be able to do it with a design like this? How are they going to sell something that they've spent the last 20 years trash-talking?

Again, I think the S-Series will be awesome and will move the centravac line out of the stone age and make it more of a force in the retro/replacement market. However, I think these are all valid questions that have already been asked for a long time, and will continue to be until they offer up something really new.
    Don't pick the fly crap out of the pepper.

Post Likes
    Here's a research paper from Purdue University dating to 1996 that refers to an "HFC-LVP" and "HFOC-LVP" which are both "confidential and proprietary and experimental HFC low vapor pressure refrigerants" I wonder who was behind these? York was still in the low-pressure biz then.

A Performance Analysis of Low Pressure HFC Refrigerants in Vapor-Compression Refrigeration Compr.pdf

Post Likes
    Trane has been working with DuPont on these machines and there is a new low pressure refrigerant in the works that will be a drop in replacement for R123. Trane is not going high pressure.

Post Likes
    That is good to know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    It'd be great if they could come up with some new HFC low pressure refrigerant that could be used in this and the other centravacs going forward. Trane's argument against high pressure has always been "what's more environmentally friendly than a refrigerant that stays inside the chiller?" .
    Rob, if you read through back through this thread it might give you some answers, I suspect the developmental HFO refrigerant DR2 is intended for the S-series

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....32#post9779832
    Necessity is the mother of invention

Post Likes
    I remember that thread. I also read something about one called 1234YF. Looks like low-pressure is here to stay

Post Likes
    I can't remember the name of the new refrigerant but Trane has no plans on going high pressure. A high pressure machine can't touch the efficiency of a low pressure machine. It's the laws of physics.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post
    I can't remember the name of the new refrigerant but Trane has no plans on going high pressure. A high pressure machine can't touch the efficiency of a low pressure machine. It's the laws of physics.
    Good point. Multi-stage, Direct drive, low pressure, semi-hermetic motor is the way to go. Also, what takes less energy; raising the pressure of a mass of vapor by 10# or by 70#?

Post Likes
    Multi-stage, Direct drive, low pressure, semi-hermetic motor

interesting thread
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Post Likes
    I seem to recall hearing somewhere about it using R145, or something like that. I had a hard time finding any numbers on whatever refrigerant it was, but it is low pressure. Slightly higher that R11, in fact I think a condensing temperature of the low 90's put it barely above 15 psig, which has me wondering if any changes will be required for the condenser vessel rating and rupture disc. And also, FWIW, this chiller is being called "Series S", whereas the older one with ceramic bearings was the "S Series". Yeah I know it's nitpicking, but we know how important correct terminology can be.

Post Likes
    After viewing that thread Screwit referenced, I believe it is R145fa.

Post Likes
    NC, I beleive you mean HFC245fa. This is one of the candidates for the replacement if HCFC123 but has physical properties where head pressure is > than 15psig/103 kPa so a coded vessel would be required.

Commonly used in Organic Rankine Cycle systems IMHO I beleive being a HFC it may provide an interim HCFC replacement solution but longer term the low GWP of the HFO refrigerants will be the driver for selection of refrigerant low pressure chillers. Some further information attached
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R123 View Post

The important question is, when the new refrigerant comes out will you have to change you screename?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    The important question is, when the new refrigerant comes out will you have to change you screename?
    Phase out not unil 2020 in new equipment and 2030 for the service tail.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwit View Post
    NC, I beleive you mean HFC245fa. This is one of the candidates for the replacement if HCFC123 but has physical properties where head pressure is > than 15psig/103 kPa so a coded vessel would be required.
    And I believe you're right about that, Screwit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwit View Post
    Commonly used in Organic Rankine Cycle systems IMHO I beleive being a HFC it may provide an interim HCFC replacement solution but longer term the low GWP of the HFO refrigerants will be the driver for selection of refrigerant low pressure chillers. Some further information attached
    Is that attachment (and you) talking about using R245fa liquid/vapor in a "steam" plant to generate electricity, as opposed to using water/steam? If so, I've never heard of such a thing. I've also never heard the term "Organic" Rankine Cycle.

Post Likes
    Attachment 362411 Hope this works. I have a hard time with this computer stuff ....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in