Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    ???

I am assuming ceramic bearings are the better bearings than the traditional ball bearing type

Anyone got a PDF on the bearings themselves.?

As far as the bean counter vs engineers, I'm going for the engineer!
    But their both a tough market-
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Milkyway, attached courtesy of google.

You might want to read up on permanent magnet motors as well.

http://www.permanentmagnetmotor.org/
    Necessity is the mother of invention

Thx!
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Good reading material, Screwit. Thanks.

Thanks a bunch Screwit...Very good reading there. Now...Fire up the Bar-B and pop open one of those HUGE beers ya'll make "Down There"...
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Quote Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
    Thanks a bunch Screwit...Very good reading there. Now...Fire up the Bar-B and pop open one of those HUGE beers ya'll make "Down There"...
    No problems, I'll have to have an extra one for you. Cheers
    Necessity is the mother of invention

That is the chiller I saw in the factory. I wasn't supposed to notice it. I asked Dave and Tom what was up with the new bench grinder, they said they would have to kill me if they told me.

Quote Originally Posted by cperk View Post
    That is the chiller I saw in the factory. I wasn't supposed to notice it. I asked Dave and Tom what was up with the new bench grinder, they said they would have to kill me if they told me.
    Saw a chiller at the york factory in San Antonio in 2008. The compressor was on the chiller like a YK. but had an impeller on each end of the motor like a double ender. They wouldn't talk about it either. I was on a tour with other sales guys, it surprised them that a couple of us (ex techs) noticed it.
    Nos operor non pensio volutabrum

Looks interesting, tonnage range is limited like the York machine. Be real interested to see the numbers though...
    Here is a link to Trane's earlier thoughts on maglev technology.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=x0MrD...ature%3Drelmfu
    Listen to them talk about open drive motors and maglev technology!
    Superheat, that must be REALLY hot.

Well, this new machine looks cool and all, but do they have any long term solution as far as refrigerant goes? R-11 is still readily available 20 years after production ended. R-123 will probably be the same, but when the average life span of a water cooled centrifugal chiller is 20-30 years, who is going to buy a new machine that uses an obsolete refrigerant as we get closer to 2020? It'd be great if they could come up with some new HFC low pressure refrigerant that could be used in this and the other centravacs going forward. Trane's argument against high pressure has always been "what's more environmentally friendly than a refrigerant that stays inside the chiller?" If they are going to move to high pressure in the future, are they going to be able to do it with a design like this? How are they going to sell something that they've spent the last 20 years trash-talking?

Again, I think the S-Series will be awesome and will move the centravac line out of the stone age and make it more of a force in the retro/replacement market. However, I think these are all valid questions that have already been asked for a long time, and will continue to be until they offer up something really new.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Here's a research paper from Purdue University dating to 1996 that refers to an "HFC-LVP" and "HFOC-LVP" which are both "confidential and proprietary and experimental HFC low vapor pressure refrigerants" I wonder who was behind these? York was still in the low-pressure biz then.

A Performance Analysis of Low Pressure HFC Refrigerants in Vapor-Compression Refrigeration Compr.pdf
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Trane has been working with DuPont on these machines and there is a new low pressure refrigerant in the works that will be a drop in replacement for R123. Trane is not going high pressure.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast