Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RHEEM FlameSensor its not !

RGRJ10EZAJS ser GE5D307F480514597 Got a lo-o-o-ong distance service call.,trying to be smart on what to bring. Unit fires up Ind. motor..,HSI lites burners..,runs for few seconds and shuts down. Flame sensor was cleaned. Then replaced with O.M.E. sensor.,same thing. Customer does mention "flame lite" on board does not come on. Sorry guys thats all Ive got. Thanks ahead!

Flame sensor must be good.
    Clean burners and add grounding wire up to burners.
    Check the voltage on the flame sensor wire to ground, should be above 30 volts minimum and hopefully higher.
    Could be poor graounding all the way to the elec. panel.
    luck dan

Also flame must be grounded. Make sure flame is not "lifting" off the burner.

I would bring a pressure switch, contact cleaner and a board if you have it (i carry these anyway) check flame sensor wire, sometimes the harness gets damp or wet and will lock it out, pressure switch and hoses and check drain trap and hoses.

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    I would bring a pressure switch, contact cleaner and a board if you have it (i carry these anyway) check flame sensor wire, sometimes the harness gets damp or wet and will lock it out, pressure switch and hoses and check drain trap and hoses.
    Had this happen to me on a York once. I missed it, fortunately my service manager didn't.

rheem/ruud hsi boards are I found bad about not sending out the proper voltage so the flame sensor is sensing nothing. check micro amps and if below .9 replace the board.

dogboy

Quote Originally Posted by danielworkerbee View Post
    Flame sensor must be good.
    Clean burners and add grounding wire up to burners.
    Check the voltage on the flame sensor wire to ground, should be above 30 volts minimum and hopefully higher.
    Could be poor graounding all the way to the elec. panel.
    luck dan
    Do you check this with sensor still connected to wire or remove it and check before it goes off. What do you use to ground the burner?

I check it like I do all others, in series. I disconnect the wire from the sensor then connect one lead of my meter to the sensor and the other lead to the wire, I start the furnace and monitor the microamps. They usually go up after the igniter denergizes.

dogboy

Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    I check it like I do all others, in series. I disconnect the wire from the sensor then connect one lead of my meter to the sensor and the other lead to the wire, I start the furnace and monitor the microamps. They usually go up after the igniter denergizes.

dogboy
    If you check it in series how would you check to ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesjen829 View Post
    If you check it in series how would you check to ground?
    I had the same question on this forum. It was explained to me to check from common to ground on the burner the voltage potiental should be very low around .3 . I experimented with this at my school on a unit with a functioning unit with a flame sensor and got a .45 reading some were around their should prove ground. If its not good on the burner work backwards

Looks like I will be making another trip! Checked continuity from board to flame sensor.,good. Tried all other tests mentioned,could not get my meter to read properly? Did get a low voltage once,around 27? There is two L.E.D. lites on board. Green which works..,and amber (flame) that doesnt,even when burners lite for 5 seconds. Customer says amber lite use to glow. Ordering a board Monday! Has anyone ever tried to "dead" ground flame sensor wire,or hold sensor probe on known good ground! I did, neither worked.

This is what I use. http://fieldpiece.com/accessory-heads/aua2 I could be doing something wrong, but this is how I do it. I usually do not check to ground I just check the micro amps. If it is not high enough I clean it and if it still not high enough then I will by pass the factory wire if It still is not high enough I would check from flame sense on board to ground for voltage if I do not have voltage it is the board, if I do have voltage it must be the sensor. I have yet to find a faulty sensor. Now I have cracked one accidentally trying to remove it but that of course was my fault not the flame sensors.

dogboy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast