Post Likes

Testing Cycles (Hz)

Probably an easy question but I cant find the answer in the manual, or online.
    I'm using an Extech meter(EX623) to check the hz on my sister in laws electrical service. (long story, trying to help her out).
    I understand the obvious reading that bounces from 60.000 to 59.998 on each leg of the service, but underneath that, in a smaller size comes a reading of 49.99% on each leg. Just wondering what this reading means. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Probably an easy question but I cant find the answer in the manual, or online.
    I'm using an Extech meter(EX623) to check the hz on my sister in laws electrical service. (long story, trying to help her out).
    I understand the obvious reading that bounces from 60.000 to 59.998 on each leg of the service, but underneath that, in a smaller size comes a reading of 49.99% on each leg. Just wondering what this reading means. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
    I don't have the meter, but just by looking at their designation "Duty ratio" sounds like a comparison of pos/neg halfs of the ac sine wave.

This reading would be significiant when monitoring a chopper or a schmidt trigger output.

Curious what anomaly you're looking for in the ac supply, and good luck.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. Definitely not a chopper!!
    My sister-in-law was having some odd power issues, flickering lights, etc. By the time I got there, of course nothing was going on. This was during a heat wave, the hottest time of the day. I asked her before I got there to call the neighbors (tight street of twin homes) to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing. I figure it was a high use issue/possible brown out.
    So....I thought I would check everything out-volts, amps, grounding, etc.
    I've had an issue before with hvac equipment were something was going haywire, and one leg going into the service panel was reading low volts--turned out to be a bad lug at the service drop. And another issue with a guy using a generator to power his house--hz issue affecting the controls.
    I thought I would take a stab to rule out all the obvious stuff, help her out. BTW, it hasn't been that hot, and it hasn't happened again.
    Thanks for your thoughts.