Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Have you tried removing one that was siezed?

To answer your original question....on that furnace the oem motor is the only one to use. Any other motor will fail quickly. I don't know what's so special about that motor or the design but an aftermarket motor will not last.

Quote Originally Posted by GastecD View Post
    Have you tried removing one that was siezed?
    Can not truly answer that as I never had a problem getting them out. Back in the late 90's (98-99?) I was performing 4 -6 pulse inspections a day and installing update kits on every one. gas orifice, gas flapper, air flapper, (both were assembly's not material) spark plug and wire and last sensor. never had one I could not get out. some were harder than others but easily done in 5 minutes.

and yes you have to use the motor from lennox as any other will not make it 2 years. Probaboy not 1 year.

dogboy

Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    Um that's probably incorrect. I Hate to see a smoked motor.
    I saw one that was wired up wrong and cooked the fan coil board on a carrier Air handler.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post

and yes you have to use the motor from lennox as any other will not make it 2 years. Probaboy not 1 year.

dogboy
    You saying that the motor the OP is posting about is made specially for Lennox and no other motor can replace it ...? and no other

Care to elaborate. motor would last as long?

Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    You saying that the motor the OP is posting about is made specially for Lennox and no other motor can replace it ...? and no other

Care to elaborate. motor would last as long?
    I've used universal motors many times and haven't had an issue. Match rpm and HP and there is no reason it shouldn't last as long as the OEM part.

I have replaced motors on the 4/5 ton drive pulses after someone had already replaced it with a generic motor. Maybe only 5 -7 times but when I was with a larger lennox dealer other technicians saw this also.

To me this kinda goes with tranes outdoor fan motor needs to be replaced with the oem as every one that was not oem installed by the company I was with at the time would fail with in a month or two.

Just my experience. ??

dogboy

Ahh, the good old Lennox 27F01 motor, or whatever the number is these days.
    Don't repeat the frustration of thousands of technicians before you, just buy the OEM motor.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I've used universal motors many times and haven't had an issue. Match rpm and HP and there is no reason it shouldn't last as long as the OEM part.
    The motor in Lennox 4/5 ton drive furnaces is a 3/4 hp, 1075 rpm motor.
    I'd bet you several $100 bills that any of your normal supply house 3/4 hp 1075 rpm motors, or rescue type motors, will overheat and fail in place of the motor Lennox uses.

I've even had a real motor supply/repair shop try to match one up for me and fail.
    I've seen mention that either AO Smith or Fasco makes a motor that will replace the OEM motor, but I've never found one for sale in a supply house.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    To me this kinda goes with tranes outdoor fan motor needs to be replaced with the oem as every one that was not oem installed by the company I was with at the time would fail with in a month or two.
    If you are talking about the 1/4 hp, 825 rpm, 1.9A motor, try a US Motors or Emerson #1873.
    I've been using them on AS/Trane units for years, and haven't had a single issue with one.

For the 2 speed motor in Tran's 4 and 5 ton XL1200 units, the 1/3 hp 1075 rpm Mars SOS motor works nicely.

I even found an alternative to the motor used in the XB1000 units that have the small bolt pattern, but I can't remember the GE part number.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    That's the way we all we're trained to replace motors. The bearing type must also be taken into consideration, I think, is also worth mentioning.

But I find it hard to accept there is no after market replacement for ANY oem motor, let alone Lennox.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    Id replace the whole furnace parts becoming mor and more obsolete be much better in Long run to replace. Great rebates to replace!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2
    That`s what I told the homeowner.The cabinet has so much rust on it.

You are right come to find out home owner put the failed motor in 6 month`s ago.It used a 40 mfd cap when it failed he put a 100 mfd cap on it at 6pm by 2 am the house was filled with smoke and smelled like a electrical fire.So when I put new motor in I kicked up that smell.I thought I was burning up new motor.That`s when homeowner told me what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Ahh, the good old Lennox 27F01 motor, or whatever the number is these days.
    Don't repeat the frustration of thousands of technicians before you, just buy the OEM motor.

The motor in Lennox 4/5 ton drive furnaces is a 3/4 hp, 1075 rpm motor.
    I'd bet you several $100 bills that any of your normal supply house 3/4 hp 1075 rpm motors, or rescue type motors, will overheat and fail in place of the motor Lennox uses.

I've even had a real motor supply/repair shop try to match one up for me and fail.
    I've seen mention that either AO Smith or Fasco makes a motor that will replace the OEM motor, but I've never found one for sale in a supply house.
    Now I have to know what is special about the motor. Did you ask the motor repair guys what it is? If I were to guess I think it has something to do with starting torque.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast