+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lennox pulse furnace

Post Likes
    Ahh, the good old Lennox 27F01 motor, or whatever the number is these days.
    Don't repeat the frustration of thousands of technicians before you, just buy the OEM motor.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I've used universal motors many times and haven't had an issue. Match rpm and HP and there is no reason it shouldn't last as long as the OEM part.
    The motor in Lennox 4/5 ton drive furnaces is a 3/4 hp, 1075 rpm motor.
    I'd bet you several $100 bills that any of your normal supply house 3/4 hp 1075 rpm motors, or rescue type motors, will overheat and fail in place of the motor Lennox uses.

I've even had a real motor supply/repair shop try to match one up for me and fail.
    I've seen mention that either AO Smith or Fasco makes a motor that will replace the OEM motor, but I've never found one for sale in a supply house.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    To me this kinda goes with tranes outdoor fan motor needs to be replaced with the oem as every one that was not oem installed by the company I was with at the time would fail with in a month or two.
    If you are talking about the 1/4 hp, 825 rpm, 1.9A motor, try a US Motors or Emerson #1873.
    I've been using them on AS/Trane units for years, and haven't had a single issue with one.

For the 2 speed motor in Tran's 4 and 5 ton XL1200 units, the 1/3 hp 1075 rpm Mars SOS motor works nicely.

I even found an alternative to the motor used in the XB1000 units that have the small bolt pattern, but I can't remember the GE part number.

Post Likes
    I've used universal motors many times and haven't had an issue. Match rpm and HP and there is no reason it shouldn't last as long as the OEM part.
    That's the way we all we're trained to replace motors. The bearing type must also be taken into consideration, I think, is also worth mentioning.

But I find it hard to accept there is no after market replacement for ANY oem motor, let alone Lennox.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jhunter97 View Post
    Id replace the whole furnace parts becoming mor and more obsolete be much better in Long run to replace. Great rebates to replace!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2
    That`s what I told the homeowner.The cabinet has so much rust on it.

Post Likes
    You are right come to find out home owner put the failed motor in 6 month`s ago.It used a 40 mfd cap when it failed he put a 100 mfd cap on it at 6pm by 2 am the house was filled with smoke and smelled like a electrical fire.So when I put new motor in I kicked up that smell.I thought I was burning up new motor.That`s when homeowner told me what happened.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Don't repeat the frustration of thousands of technicians before you, just buy the OEM motor.

I'd bet you several $100 bills that any of your normal supply house 3/4 hp 1075 rpm motors, or rescue type motors, will overheat and fail in place of the motor Lennox uses.

I've even had a real motor supply/repair shop try to match one up for me and fail.
    I've seen mention that either AO Smith or Fasco makes a motor that will replace the OEM motor, but I've never found one for sale in a supply house.
    Now I have to know what is special about the motor. Did you ask the motor repair guys what it is? If I were to guess I think it has something to do with starting torque.

Post Likes
    I cannot explain why either, but I work for a Lennox dealer and they will NOT put in anything but OEM in the Pulse because it does not last.

I have been back on some that other companies have installed aftermarket motors in a sort time prior. The HO thinks the tech did not do something correct and that is why the new motor died so soon.

We just say it is wired correctly, as long as it is, and order the OEM motor and cap. Usually never have an issue unless it is a bad motor out of the box.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes

What is different about it?

Post Likes
    you do realize we are service techs and not engineers? Right? some of us know what works and what doesn't.

dogboy

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    you do realize we are service techs and not engineers? Right? some of us know what works and what doesn't.

dogboy
    I am sure we don't have to be engineers just because we want to know why an OEM part can not be crossed to to a competitive brand.

A motor is windings bearing a stator and a housing.
    I have yet to find an OEM motor I cant cross.

I don't think an HO would appreciate a shoulder shrug in place of a reason why an OEM costs more than a generic part.

Post Likes
    The OEM motor has a thicker winding stack, higher amperage rating, and weighs significantly more than any of the commonly available 3/4 hp blower motors.
    A motor shop even had me try a 1hp motor, didn't work out.

Look at the blower wheel in Lennox 4/5 ton drive furnaces from the 80's and 90's, not just the Pulse, but the 80MGF, G24, etc., it is bigger than you typically find in other furnaces.
    If you look at the blower performance charts for those units, you will see that they have a significantly more powerful blower than most.

I've no doubt that there are aftermarket motors that will work, it's just a question of if anyone actually stocks them, which I've never had any luck with, even when dealing directly with a motor shop.

Post Likes
    The OEM motor has a thicker winding stack, higher amperage rating, and weighs significantly more than any of the commonly available 3/4 hp blower motors.

Look at the blower wheel in Lennox 4/5 ton drive furnaces from the 80's and 90's, not just the Pulse, but the 80MGF, G24, etc., it is bigger than you typically find in other furnaces.
    If you look at the blower performance charts for those units, you will see that they have a significantly more powerful blower than most.

I've no doubt that there are aftermarket motors that will work, it's just a question of if anyone actually stocks them, which I've never had any luck with, even when dealing directly with a motor shop.
    Thanks for telling us what you found, I like always like to know the why
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes

Interesting. I have replaced a lot of Lennox motors with non OEM with no problems, but don't remember how many of them were 3/4 HP. I would guess that only about 1% of the pulse furnaces I've worked on are the 100k with the 4/5 ton blower.

Post Likes
    The old motor is a lot heavier than aftermarket one for sure

Post Likes
    The Pulse's heat exchanger runs about twice as hot as any other furnace. Thus, a larger and beefier blower wheel to move more air to meet the temp rise. Most off the shelf after-market blower motors can not handle the blower wheels in those Pulses, as earlier stated.

Post Likes
    This house is a mess bad electrically the furnace breaker has a bunch of lighting on it.Plus a few outlets the thing is only a 15amp.This furnace will use most of that by it self and all of it on start up.not to mention it`s a lot of knob and tube still

Post Likes
    Just replaced one 2 days ago. Part # 28F01. Pricing is about right. Use OEM the first time or you will be buying it for them next week.

Post Likes
    its been a while, but the last time i changed one it wasn't all that bad. the way it was installed under the house sucked
    Quote Originally Posted by GastecD View Post
    Agree with changing the furnace, once you have to change out a spark plug youll be wishing you had

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in