Hybrid View

Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Post Likes

Tridium SMS and USB Modem

Anyone tried using the Tridium SMS driver with a Cradlepoint modem and USB GRPS modem connected to a Jace via Ethernet cable. I know about the Wyless GPRS modem to plug into the Jace, but a customer wants to use an USB modem from their current cell phone provider.

The SMS driver manual talks about using an external modem via a serial connection but does not mention using the Ethernet ports. This Jace will not be connected to any other Ethernet/IP network, but customer wants true SMS alarm messaging not using email messaging to phone number (10 digit

When you talk, you are only repeating what you already know. But if you listen, you may learn something new. - Dalai Lama

Post Likes
    I don't think the SMS driver will route SMS over the IP connection. In other words it just sees the Cradlepoint as a router and doesn't really know about the USB device being used for the broadband connection.

I have used my USB air card from AT&T connected to my laptop running a station to send SMS text messages using the SMS driver. However, I am fairly sure that if you are using an embedded JACE that it would require either using the Tridium GPRS modem option card or a third party GPRS modem connected to the JACE's serial port.
    Not everything that can be counted counts, and not every thing that counts can be counted - Albert Einstein