Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would a furnace with a blocked inlet shut down?

A few days ago my Trane furnace stopped working because the inlet iced over.
    It took me an hour to figure out the problem, and it tried to start up over and over again.
    Would it do that forever, or would it eventually quit trying to start?

The evaporator iced over I assumed.
    Pay for a respectable pro, and you will save money in the long run I can almost guarranty that.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

are you meaning the flue pipe intake?-yes

you are referring to a condensing furnace; correct?

it should only try @3 times then go into a lock out (whether it will retry after a specified time-would have to know mod & ignition control for certain.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    The evaporator iced over I assumed.
    Pay for a respectable pro, and you will save money in the long run I can almost guarranty that.
    No, the inlet iced over as I said. How could the furnace evaporator ice over?

I asked a simple question, does the furnace continue to try to start, or does it shut down after a while?
    You don't have to reply if you don't know the answer.

Most will try a set number of times (3-5) and then simply lock out. You need to call a professional technician as we cannot assist with DIY at this site. It is forbidden by site rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Toller View Post

I asked a simple question, does the furnace continue to try to start, or does it shut down after a while?
    Try giving more info so we know what inlet or outlet or whacthacallits your talking about. I also took into acount that most DIYers can't tell the difference between heat pumps and furnaces, I stand corrected in this case.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Try giving more info so we know what inlet or outlet or whacthacallits your talking about. I also took into acount that most DIYers can't tell the difference between heat pumps and furnaces, I stand corrected in this case.
    Trane XR90 TUX80c942D Two pipes through the wall, the vent and the inlet. The inlet filled with ice and the furnace wouldn't fire. I don't know how long it was doing that before I noticed, but it did it cycled on and off for an hour before I realized the problem. As soon as I cleaned out the ice it was fine.

I didn't time it, but it seemed to try to start for a minute, then pause for a minute and repeat. So, in the hour I thought about it, it must have tried 30 times or so. The house only cooled a few degrees and it was frigid out, so it couldn't have been too long, but lets say it cycled 40 times before I fixed it.

It is working fine and I don't want help fixing it. I just have a simple question... how long does it do that before it simply stops? Well, two simple questions... if it does in fact stop, does it ever try again?

Reason I ask... the house is 6 years old. Former owner didn't live here, but had the heat on in the winter. Seems strange that it worked fine for 5 years and failed my first year. Maybe it did fail, but no one was here to know. When it warmed up and the ice melted, it started again. They drained the water, so there would have been no damage.

I guess you heard that!!

Trane XR90 TUX80c942D Two pipes through the wall, the vent and the inlet. The inlet filled with ice and the furnace wouldn't fire. I don't know how long it was doing that before I noticed, but it did it cycled on and off for an hour before I realized the problem. As soon as I cleaned out the ice it was fine.

I didn't time it, but it seemed to try to start for a minute, then pause for a minute and repeat. So, in the hour I thought about it, it must have tried 30 times or so. The house only cooled a few degrees and it was frigid out, so it couldn't have been too long, but lets say it cycled 40 times before I fixed it.

It is working fine and I don't want help fixing it. I just have a simple question... how long does it do that before it simply stops? Well, two simple questions... if it does in fact stop, does it ever try again?

Reason I ask... the house is 6 years old. Former owner didn't live here, but had the heat on in the winter. Seems strange that it worked fine for 5 years and failed my first year. Maybe it did fail, but no one was here to know. When it warmed up and the ice melted, it started again. They drained the water, so there would have been no damage.
    It would eventually stop trying, and shut down for life, or a power outtage, or someone turning the furnace breaker off and back on. Whichever comes first.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

This poster has a lot of pics of the vents in question on another website.....I don't know why he asks vague questions and expects answers here with a deficit of data.

OP: How about posting pics of your crappy install and then asking the questions and *****in about the responces??????
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

A few days ago my Trane furnace stopped working because the inlet iced over.
    It took me an hour to figure out the problem, and it tried to start up over and over again.
    Would it do that forever, or would it eventually quit trying to start?
    Post your location and temperatures on the day you are having an issue, and specify two pipe or concentric vent, condensing

Give the make model and serial, you dont call an auto mechanic for help diagnosing without providing the name of your vehicle do you?

If you light a candle and put the lid on will it stay lit? I don't know what primary control your "trane" has so who knows how many trials for ignition it will do. Why such an attitude anyways, it's hard to tolerate that crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast