Metasys closed N2 protocol.

We have a site that has metasys controllers boards, and talking with Johnson controls rep, they say that this system is a closed n2 protocol system, meaning a third control system ,(ALC) can't interface with it. But there is also a open N2 protocol that a third party control system can interface with. Question is, can this "closed N2" system be opened so I can interface with? Has anyone came across this issue before? Is there an adapter that can open this system up without replacing the metasys control boards.
    Thx
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

What exactly do you have in the field, we need more information like what the Metasys front is(PMI or MSEA) and what field devices.
    I am not sure if ALC has a N2 driver!!!!
    UA Local 141

Quote Originally Posted by berg2666 View Post
    ...I am not sure if ALC has a N2 driver!!!!
    ALC does have a N2 driver, but I have never used it before. It sounds like that is what he is referencing because ALC lists it as "N2 Open" driver.
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

The N2 protocol is a proprietary JCI protocol. They have allowed many third party's to design and sell equipment using the protocol by contracts. Some manufacturers have engineered supervisory and/or gateway equipment that will work with N2. The N2 protocol has 3 "versions" that all work together on the same segment. All the ASC devices (Part # starts with AS-) use N2 open. The DX-9100, and TC-9100 and the LCP use the System 91 version. The AP-VMA use a N2 B version. With the JCI supervisor equipment this really is a non-issue 99.9% of the time. Third party driver suppliers should be able to tell you if they support all the devices.

This company http://www.s2innovations.com has a gateway that can migrate the N2 bus. No personal experience, but I have heard good things on this board.

Bill

Bill

I don't think s2innovations has the gateway.
    It is the http://www.thes4group.com/ that has it.

Oops... you are right, S4 has the n2-Bacnet router. I get the usb N2 interface from S2. I do use the S2 product and it works great.

Bill

Thanks @amigo, exactly what we are looking for. Appreciate the help and responses from others.

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    Everyone, Thanks for the referral and the positive reviews. We work very hard to gain your respect. Our BACnet-N2 Router supports all variations of the N2 protocol which means that any device that you find on the N2 bus is supported. Our product is also unique in that the Metasys head end can co-exist with your new head end. We support publisning to BACnet or to OPC. The system is licensed by the number of N2 devices on your bus. Please contact us for more details.
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

2444 Washington Blvd, Suite 100 Ogden, UT
    Quote Originally Posted by access_max View Post
    We have a site that has metasys controllers boards, and talking with Johnson controls rep, they say that this system is a closed n2 protocol system, meaning a third control system ,(ALC) can't interface with it. But there is also a open N2 protocol that a third party control system can interface with. Question is, can this "closed N2" system be opened so I can interface with? Has anyone came across this issue before? Is there an adapter that can open this system up without replacing the metasys control boards.
    Thx
    Hey Access_Max, Did you find a solution?
    Steve Jones
    Managing Partner
    The S4 Group, Inc.

Maxline (who picked up Infocon driver line) has an N2 driver for Tridium (ibmsN2.jar) that works very good.. I would add the external RS485 comm port card though to the JACE and add separate networks if possible. Just saying a lot of installs have comm lines headended to the NCM, N30 etc..