Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by techie768 View Post
    Jtrammel,

I thoguht the inside unit was A RUUD and the outside unit was from Unitary products. That is what is on the label. How do come about with York/Colemen.

They aren't old?
    The outdoor is a York/coleman which is upg (unitary products group). The indoor is a ruud which looks fairly new by the model # but I don't deal with rheem/rhuud much so I'm not sure about it, hence the ? mark.

Ok. I tried going on the RUUD site to get more info on it and could not. So I got no clue it was pretty new.

Thanks J

Well its a pretty old system so I am not really sure who to call. AT this point I would like options. I would like to understand what the tonnage and other specs are for the system cuss maybe I can get a used one or something Or replace the system for relativity cheap. But I would like options.
    I understand there are 3 Options.
    _ 1. Pay me NOW,
    ___ 2. oR Pay me Later.
    +++++ 3. D.I.Y.

__ relatively cheap .:. a.k.a. Pay me Later instead of Now.

HVAC math: 3 = 1 + 2
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Rheem/Rudd same thing. York/Coleman/luxaire is UPG.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

It worked before (sort of) and it will work again. Call a reputable company, fess up to what you did and let them fix it, it will be cheaper than changing out the unit(s). Thermostats seem simple enough and the box stores would like you to think the same thing but when it comes to control wiring, one wire in the wrong place and POOF! all the magic smoke gets released and you're left with a control part that is done for, burnt toast.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Thanks Chris...that's pretty helpful. I didn't deduce that!

Jtrammel I did post the specs...the model and serial numbers for both parts of the unit.

Thanks.
    It's very funny that people who want free advice cop an attitude when they don't get it.
    You are in this situation by being either too smart or too cheap.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Truly,
    I dont mind hiring someone to do fix/change out this unit. I will have to...both units are pretty old.
    I just wish to find professionals that are honest.

I have found finding the honest one amongst the rest can be difficult and costly.

recently this mechanic wanted to charge me $700.00 to change two sensors in my car when only one was bad it was changed out for
    $200.00. Everywhere I turn in America it seems that the prevailing mentality is "lets fleece the clients." That is pretty discouraging.

Anyways, I will shop around and do some research and find someone to do something about this HVAC.

Thanks folk. I appreciate your assistance.

Happy 2013
    Auto mech and hvac mech are apples to oranges.
    You seem pretty smart at this point in time you ought to be able to tell when you are being duped. Stop playing the victim.
    I do not get fleeced in America, I love this country if you don't go to China you can live on 300 bucks a yr and you won't have to worry about getting fleeced out of your change because you will not have any.
    Reputable hvac companies are easy to find-good luck-

The first point that jumped right out to me was the fact that you didn't have the guy from American Home Shield replace that thermostat.

Right away, I saw where this was going.

I would very much like to hear about the make and model of car you are talking about, which 2 sensors they were, and what the diagnosis was, and how only one sensor was bad. This should be easy if you got a written estimate. Was the estimated labor according to one of the widely used flat rate manuals?

I'm asking because I have worked as a technical writer of the study manuals for the ASE test used by mechanics, and I can tell you that you have an attitude problem about professionals being paid what they are worth. It seems simple that a stat should only cost what it cost at Home Depot. But think it through. A pro needs to charge you for the time, the truck, the training, the insurance, and the taxes that are levied on his business. Now you have a costly problem to fix that's much more expensive than having a professional install the thermostat in the first place.

If I may be very direct, I call this being smart by half.

recently this mechanic wanted to charge me $700.00 to change two sensors in my car when only one was bad it was changed out for
    $200.00.
    In fairness, he may have been trying to save you money in the long run. If the two sensors were near each other, and required the same amount of difficulty to get to and change out, he may have been suggesting that by changing out both sensors at the same time, you would be better off. Yes, you could go on down the road a long time with one new sensor and one old one, and be fine, but when the other one at some point failed you'd be thinking "now why didn't I get this one done at the same time? Now I have to pay the same labor over again plus the part."
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

We cannot assist with DIY repairs. This site will not allow it, I'm sure due to liability reasons. Since we are experienced professionals (I.E. we didn't learn our trade at the local discount store), we have the expectation of reliable advice. If you are a fellow professional, then you may present your credentials, be graded, and possibly allowed to join our ranks. Once you join, then you can visit the professiional site and get reliable (and very useful) advice. Sorry for your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Shophound View Post
    In fairness, he may have been trying to save you money in the long run. If the two sensors were near each other, and required the same amount of difficulty to get to and change out, he may have been suggesting that by changing out both sensors at the same time, you would be better off. Yes, you could go on down the road a long time with one new sensor and one old one, and be fine, but when the other one at some point failed you'd be thinking "now why didn't I get this one done at the same time? Now I have to pay the same labor over again plus the part."
    On the other hand if the mech didn't replace the second sensor then he would have complained about that. DANGIT.

Hey techie, that Ruud air handler was manufactured in 1989.

Hey it would not be so bad , except I get 2 or 3 a week like this. Look I only charge $ bucks to come out look at the problem and give you a written price for the repair at hand Thats $ bucks . If this customer has a problem with $ bucks that gets waved anyway with repair then he can not aford a service company to come out to his home.

Just because my prices are higher then someone wants to pay does not make me a rip off. This is why those dumb ass Dateline Shows are so damanging to our industry. If the truth be told they had to call out 10 companies to get to that one that make up these stories on date line and shows like that. To the poster with my company and asuming your T stat and your Transformer were still good you would of been pleased with your pricing. If I had to replace a transformer or stat yes it would bite a little but lets not assume we are getting ripped off.
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-01-2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: prices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast