Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seems like changing my thermostart killed my air A/C

Post Likes

Seems like changing my thermostart killed my air A/C

Hi Folk,s
    I hope 2013 has started well for everyone. I myself am blessed but ran into a real challenge today.

Let me start at the beginning:

I noticed over the last two months(Nov and Dec 2012) that my electric bill doubled. On inspection I noticed that the outside part of my unit (compressor and condenser) were not activating. I called AHS who sent out a contractor.
    He told me that my thermostat was not made to handle two heaters I had a (one cold and 1 hot type thermostat).
    He said I was using the electric heaters in my air handler hence the reason for the large electric bill. I needed a Thermostat that would drive both the outiside heat pump and the inside electric head coils.

I went to Home Depot and bought a Honeywell RTH2510/RTH2410 thermostat and successfully(or so I thought) installed it.
    At first I activated my fan that comes with the air handler and also my outside unit. After 3 minutes or so I decided to trying cooling to see if that works (its about 70 F here today) and walked away. I hear a sort of humming and started to smell burnt electrical smells. The unit went dead before I could turn it off.

Now my unit(inside and out) will not activate at all. Nothing!

Specs:
    Inside unit:
    Manufactorer: RUUD
    MOdel: UHQA-0805BDH
    SN# : H M1689 5823

Outside UNIT:
    Manufactorer: Unitary Products
    MOdel: XTH0124BA
    SN#: EKBM355920.

I really believe I burnt out the control circuit or something.

Does anyone here have insight or suggestions on what I could/should do?

Thanks,
    T

Post Likes
    I would call for service and not AHS or any home warranty service contractor. You fried it.

Post Likes

That's all I got besides call a pro

Post Likes
    Well its a pretty old system so I am not really sure who to call. AT this point I would like options. I would like to understand what the tonage and other specs are for the system cuss maybe I can get a used one or something Or replace the system for relativity cheap. But I would like options.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techie768 View Post
    Well its a pretty old system so I am not really sure who to call. AT this point I would like options. I would like to understand what the tonage and other specs are for the system cuss maybe I can get a used one or something Or replace the system for relativity cheap. But I would like options.
    Used equipment is not a good idea, lots of times it doesn't work and you'll have trouble finding someone competent to install it. It almost always ends up costing you twice to have a pro cone behind and install a new system.

Post Likes
    Post the model number of the indoor and outdoor unit and we can tell you tonnage etc.

Post Likes
    There is about a 99.9% chance that you just cost yourself more money then calling in a professional in the 1st place.

There is a contractors locators map on this site and it might be best that you contact one of them that is in your area.

Post Likes
    Thanks Chris...that's pretty helpful. I didn't deduce that!

Jtrammel I did post the specs...the model and serial numbers for both parts of the unit.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Sorry, its a york/coleman 2 ton 10 seer heat pump

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    Sorry, its a york/coleman 2 ton 10 seer heat pump
    And the indoor looks to be a 2 ton 14 seer air handler which would be fairly new?

Post Likes
    Truly,
    I dont mind hiring someone to do fix/change out this unit. I will have to...both units are pretty old.
    I just wish to find professionals that are honest.

I have found finding the honest one amongst the rest can be difficult and costly.

recently this mechanic wanted to charge me $700.00 to change two sensors in my car when only one was bad it was changed out for
    $200.00. Everywhere I turn in America it seems that the prevailing mentality is "lets fleece the clients." That is pretty discouraging.

Anyways, I will shop around and do some research and find someone to do something about this HVAC.

Thanks folk. I appreciate your assistance.

Happy 2013

Post Likes
    Jtrammel,

I thoguht the inside unit was A RUUD and the outside unit was from Unitary products. That is what is on the label. How do come about with York/Colemen.

They aren't old?

Post Likes

Jtrammel I did post the specs...the model and serial numbers for both parts of the unit.

Thanks.
    The wifey is pretty pissed off at you right now isn't she?

No worries these guys will get you back on track !

Good luck to you !

Post Likes
    Jtrammel,

I thoguht the inside unit was A RUUD and the outside unit was from Unitary products. That is what is on the label. How do come about with York/Colemen.

They aren't old?
    The outdoor is a York/coleman which is upg (unitary products group). The indoor is a ruud which looks fairly new by the model # but I don't deal with rheem/rhuud much so I'm not sure about it, hence the ? mark.

Post Likes
    Ok. I tried going on the RUUD site to get more info on it and could not. So I got no clue it was pretty new.

Thanks J

Post Likes
    Well its a pretty old system so I am not really sure who to call. AT this point I would like options. I would like to understand what the tonnage and other specs are for the system cuss maybe I can get a used one or something Or replace the system for relativity cheap. But I would like options.
    I understand there are 3 Options.
    _ 1. Pay me NOW,
    ___ 2. oR Pay me Later.
    +++++ 3. D.I.Y.

__ relatively cheap .:. a.k.a. Pay me Later instead of Now.

HVAC math: 3 = 1 + 2
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Rheem/Rudd same thing. York/Coleman/luxaire is UPG.

Post Likes
    It worked before (sort of) and it will work again. Call a reputable company, fess up to what you did and let them fix it, it will be cheaper than changing out the unit(s). Thermostats seem simple enough and the box stores would like you to think the same thing but when it comes to control wiring, one wire in the wrong place and POOF! all the magic smoke gets released and you're left with a control part that is done for, burnt toast.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes

Thanks.
    It's very funny that people who want free advice cop an attitude when they don't get it.
    You are in this situation by being either too smart or too cheap.

Post Likes
    Truly,
    I dont mind hiring someone to do fix/change out this unit. I will have to...both units are pretty old.
    I just wish to find professionals that are honest.

I have found finding the honest one amongst the rest can be difficult and costly.

recently this mechanic wanted to charge me $700.00 to change two sensors in my car when only one was bad it was changed out for
    $200.00. Everywhere I turn in America it seems that the prevailing mentality is "lets fleece the clients." That is pretty discouraging.

Anyways, I will shop around and do some research and find someone to do something about this HVAC.

Thanks folk. I appreciate your assistance.

Happy 2013
    Auto mech and hvac mech are apples to oranges.
    You seem pretty smart at this point in time you ought to be able to tell when you are being duped. Stop playing the victim.
    I do not get fleeced in America, I love this country if you don't go to China you can live on 300 bucks a yr and you won't have to worry about getting fleeced out of your change because you will not have any.
    Reputable hvac companies are easy to find-good luck-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in