What is a permanently closed window

Venting instructions say that it must be 4' from a window that may open, and 1' from a permanently closed window. That is difficult because my windows are closer than 8' apart. Can I put a screw through a double hung window and make it permanently closed?

permanently closed windows can NEVER be opened by design.....no screws ....
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

what is it you are venting?

by code ...beshvac is right.
    because by removing the screw the window isn't permanently closed.

best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

It's the one with The Duct Tape !.. L.O.L.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

double
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

A permanently closed window is what you'd find downtown in an office building. It's designed to be looked out of, but not opened.

i'm pretty sure glass block windows will qualify as "permanently closed" since they can't be opened. But also sure you can't temporarily screw a window shut and get the inspector to agree to "permanently closed" status. Find another way such as calling an experienced professional!

I think a similar term is "non-operable" window. But it could also give someone the notion that they could run a screw into the frame and call an otherwise operable window "non-operable". Nope. "Non-operable" or "permanently closed" means that is how the window is MADE, not what it can be modified TO.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

what are you venting?
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Ditto on the above guys, especially energy rater.

The rule you list is generally related to non-direct venting.

If your equipment is able to be direct vented, I would suggest it.
    Especially since direct venting should VASTLY change the venting clearances.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted