Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

the government forced banks to offer loans to people who could not qualify.

"the government forced banks to offer loans to people who could not qualify"

Can someone stick a date on this madness?
    Always here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Community_Reinvestment_Act

Note that this is from Wiki, which is a notoriously liberal slanted source. For instance, you don't see it discuss how Janet Reno, under Clinton's orders threatened major bank presidents with federal jail if they did not make known bad loans to minorities. Wiki also plays down the role the CRA had in the crash. Note that many of these known bad loans were bundled into packages with decent and good loans then sold off as "derivatives". These, too eventually blew up into what we know as the ""Sub-Prime Mortgage collapse". Bound to happen when you make loans below what you lend money to member banks knowing these people will not pay them back. More liberal vote buying.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    Note that this is from Wiki, which is a notoriously liberal slanted source.
    If your political viewpoint is to the right of the John Birch Society that could possibly be the case.

for instance, you don't see it discuss how Janet Reno, under Clinton's orders threatened major bank presidents with federal jail if they did not make known bad loans to minorities.
    Probably because this is a wingnut myth.

Wiki also plays down the role the CRA had in the crash.
    Possibly because there is no credible evidence that the CRA played anymore than a small role in the financial crisis.

Note that many of these known bad loans were bundled into packages with decent and good loans then sold off as "derivatives". These, too eventually blew up into what we know as the ""Sub-Prime Mortgage collapse". Bound to happen when you make loans below what you lend money to member banks knowing these people will not pay them back. More liberal vote buying.
    Bound to happen when financial institutions let their greed outstrip their caution.

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    If your political viewpoint is to the right of the John Birch Society that could possibly be the case.

Probably because this is a wingnut myth.

Possibly because there is no credible evidence that the CRA played anymore than a small role in the financial crisis.

Bound to happen when financial institutions let their greed outstrip their caution.
    A voice of reason.... you will likely soon be smeared and discredited. Thou shall have non liberal leaning sources of facts. On,y conservative leaning blogs and sources are accepted here.

Cra helped create a relaxed lending culture. If they coulkd offer loans to poor people with bad credit just looking for affordable housing, hey, whynnot offer them to anyone nokt matter the home value or income level. Well allow stated incomes, well let appraisers, realtors, borkers, underwriters and originators to all conspire to push paper.

You not really forcing a bank to do something when they are making money hand over fist on it.

My source is my wife. A mortgage broker and underwriter in san diego from about 2000 to 2003. Then an originator in iowa from 2004 to present.

If cra was the cause then how do myou explain the low forclusure rates in some areas that do plenty of fannie and freddie loans, fha, rural housing, et? Because those areas were not overspeculated ans vairable rates mortgages were less common.

If anything, I blame the mess on the improper use of ARMS and stated income. Reduce those and the whole mess never happens.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

The question I have is: When have banks EVER done something that didn't make them money? That is their business, it's what they do. Only the seriously deluded think the government could (or would) force them to do anything that might cost them a shekel.

So a policy, that is still in place now, started over 30 years prior, that had no negative effect in many locals, caused the collapse?

I think If you did an rca of the situation. Cra is not the root cause. There is no one root cause, its a complicated series of issues. A perfect storm.

Keep in mind, private lenders are not subject to cra, yet they were into it far deeper than other lenders.

It was probably some rich guy that paid off another rich guy to get something started that would make everyone richer in the short term...especially rich guy number 1.

Don't ya know that's how America works?

Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

and Sylvesters opinion
    http://youtu.be/pPn64jJBGcw
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    http://commonsensewonder.********.co...ing-banks.html

Just one of many sources online. Keep on sneering...
    Your source said nothing about Clinton and Reno threatening bank officials with fed. jail.

Looks like you just made that up.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    So a policy, that is still in place now, started over 30 years prior, that had no negative effect in many locals, caused the collapse?

I think If you did an rca of the situation. Cra is not the root cause. There is no one root cause, its a complicated series of issues. A perfect storm.

Keep in mind, private lenders are not subject to cra, yet they were into it far deeper than other lenders.

Yes the CRA was just a small segment it had to be combined with MBS CDOs and CDS and SCDOs in tranches ramped up under SP triple AAA to the tune 79%. The Federal Reserve knew the SEC knew and others knew and did nothing because they had the blessing of Greenspan.

The repeal of Glass Seagel was the root cause which transfered the risk to other banks which they enjoyed high yields with further risk until that risk became so great the risk was going out the front door and coming back in the back door to the point of just shy full systemic.

The Volkler rule has already been watered down with 300 pages of amendments.

It was both parties which caused this,Congress pretty much exists today only to serve special money interests.
    FEN

Why would so-called conservatives acknowledge that unrestrained capitalist greed was what crashed the US economy and housing market? Capitalism is their sacred cow and we must continue to make publicly funded cash sacrifices to their gilded idols a.k.a. job creators. Then, and only then, can the climate of uncertainty end for business, and the power of the private sector be unleashed from the oppressive chains of regulation.

L O L

If you buy that load of crap, I've got a bridge to sell you.
    The key to happiness is lower expectations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast