Thread: hoar frost plugging exhaust pipe

Post Likes

hoar frost plugging exhaust pipe

Hi,

Does there exist a product that can melt hoar frost from exhaust pipes? Yes, EXHAUST pipes.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    An exhaust pipe for what?

Post Likes
    A high efficiency furnace.

Post Likes
    In case you want more detail, the pipe only freezes under extremes of temperature and has only done so, I believe, twice, in its several years of life. There might also have been one instance of a child shoving snow into it on purpose... It is very possible that the moronic fools who installed the unit did not do so properly, as I had already caught them on other issues. (one such issue was to actually not attach the exhaust pipe at all...)

This just feels like a simple problem to solve, though, that might not have to involve bringing back untrustworthy people.

Post Likes
    oops
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eeperson View Post
    In case you want more detail, the pipe only freezes under extremes of temperature and has only done so, I believe, twice, in its several years of life. There might also have been one instance of a child shoving snow into it on purpose... It is very possible that the moronic fools who installed the unit did not do so properly, as I had already caught them on other issues. (one such issue was to actually not attach the exhaust pipe at all...)

This just feels like a simple problem to solve, though, that might not have to involve bringing back untrustworthy people.
    Have a recommended hvac professional check the whole system if you value your safety.

Post Likes
    did anyone install any kind of screening over exhaust to keep the bugs and critters out?

Post Likes
    No screening.

Post Likes
    OK I take it such a device does not exist. LOL

Post Likes
    OK I take it such a device does not exist. LOL
    This will do it http://m.acehardware.com/product/ind...ductId=1292305 you should have your furnace serviced for safety's sake.

Post Likes
    A high efficiency furnace.
    The pipe should be insulated if it runs through a space that will get below 32°. Consult the installation instructions for details.

Post Likes
    OK I'll ask the question. What the H@!! is "hoar frost"?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    It's the kind of frost that "gets around"! Lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHeat View Post
    Frost that accumulates on a surface according to wiki. So basically your standard frost.

Post Likes
    there is something special about hoar frost, we had a front page newspaper story about it the other day.

To OP, I would think nothing would need to be done about this. No location posted, but in our area we have had 5 issues of frozen exhaust in the last 5 years that I can recall. most of these were due to something the homeowner did to cause exhaust to be blocked.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in