York air handler model number compatability

Hi folks, I'm a new member who just joined the forum after searching the internet and placing several fruitless calls to York.

Basically I have an old N2AHD10A06A air handler and its heat strip is dead. It takes heat strip 2HM06501006B.

This part has been hard to find, but I found a 2HM06501006D heat strip. (That's a D on the end, instead of the B that's indicated for mine.) What's confusing is that the 2HM06501006D is indicated for use with a N2AHD10A06 air handler (no A on the end of the model number, contrary to my unit.)

So, my questions are:
    What's the difference between the N2AHD10A06A air handler and the N2AHD10A06?
    Will the 2HM06501006D heat strip work in the N2AHD10A06A air handler?

I'm grateful for any help you folks can provide. Thanks for your time!!

I believe its tge size of the cabinet of air handle, A being the smallest and D being the largest. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I was at my computer I could check on the York contractor website. Call a York DEALER (hvac company who sells York equipment) or a York DISTRIBUTER (large company who sells equipment to dealers), they should be able to tell you for sure if it will work.

How do you know the strips are bad? It could be something that could be fixed with a universal part by a professional technician.

Hi jtrammel, I was on the phone with several departments at York this morning but they said their parts system was down. I didn't think to call a York dealer, as the system is about 25yrs ol and might not be documented outside of old paper manuals.

I had a HVAC tech come out yesterday and he diagnosed it as bad coils. Voltage present at coil, but they didn't draw amperage.
    I was told that it would be $ parts & labor. He called around and couldn't find the part anywhere. Then I learned today that the part would have to be custom made for an additional $, and it would take 3 weeks to do so. So over $ to replace the coils.

I found the unit I mentioned online for a great price, so I am very hopeful it will work.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-30-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: prices

Sounds like it may, I'll check later on when I get to the office if nobody else on here beats me to it. The strip can be restrung for cheap by a qualified pro, or it could be a simple temp limit that has the circuit open. Sounds like you need a new hvac co. Prices are not permitted on this site so the site mod will edit them out shortly. But like I said, I think you need a new hvac company or tech.