Thread: Rebranded units UGH

Post Likes

Rebranded units UGH

WHY on earth does the HVAC industry re-brand their units. It makes it impossible to see what you're getting. So here's my question...if I ask a reputable vendor who makes their "rebranded" unit, should they be open and tell me or is it information they will not share?

Post Likes
    they should inform you what company actually produces the equipment being offered; since it doesn't take much effort to find out.

most all manufacturers produce more than one line of product.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Thanks so much!

Post Likes
    Might be a good time for home owners to stop thinking about brands and think components. Lets start out with the Copeland Scroll compressor, #1 in my opinion, if your looking for high efficiency then they should have a "double row" condenser coil, then low pressure and high pressure switches are also a plus, louvered sides is good for protection from the elements. I am a Ruud dealer and I like the easy access service area. As for as furnaces, you want a limited lifetime heat exchanger warranty, and 10 year parts warranty, the ECM 2+ motor is a good also and I like the serial communicating capable models. This is a good start if your looking for quality, most re-badged or second lines will not offer any of the above.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    All good stuff Mr. Bill. RIght up my alley because I like to research everything (even things I know nothing about like HVAC). But I'll tell you that my posting in this forum with even the most basic question is probably more than 95% of people do when looking into this investment.

Post Likes
    The reason larger HVAC companies "re-brand" is to simply build loyalty with their company and not some big box branded company. They simply buy someone else's unit, and re-sticker it. Their company stands behind the warranty needs, so you continue to do business with them and not another dealer for the big box branded equipment. These companies usually find a brand that is dependable, yet reasonably priced that won't have a lot of warranty issues. Everyone wants to "talk" about the latest and greatest "breakthroughs" in the HVAC business, but as a HVAC dealer who has been around for a long time....sometimes equipment comes to market with problems that have not been solved and the end user (you) has to take care of these problems. Most major manufacterers rush to market due to their competition and sadly the end user gets caught with defects and "why didn't they think of that" type problems. Also remember that the out of warranty repairs for super complex equipment will be very expensive!! This is the reason most larger HVAC companies do not "re-brand" the higher end multi-stage, variable speed equipment. They are hesitant to get caught replacing expensive parts.

Post Likes
    All great points. My only "issue" with it is from the layman's perspective (which I am). I know of Trane, American Standard, Carrier, York, Armstrong. I would look for brands like these that I know of. Once they re-brand (on their web site) they don't allow me to know what I am getting. Yes I can call and ask, but they should at least tell you what it really is on the web site to help people like me shop around easily.

Post Likes
    THe name of hte parent company is usually somewhere on the website. Or a simple wiki search should tell you who the mfg is.

But as mentioned above, other than certain features on high end equipment. The brand is irrlevant. Focus on finding a good contractor that will install it correctly.

Post Likes
    It is MUCH more important to find a good HVAC contracting business and build your loyalty with them than hoping to find what "brand" equipment is the best based on the amount of money the manufacturer spends on advertising. Frankly I've found an adverse relationship between advertising and quality of equipment in many cases!!

Post Likes
    Thanks! I have gathered that from discussing this in the past with you and have another thread to that end (see below link) but nobody has responded yet.....I'm hoping someone knows of these contractors and/or can support my approach.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....tractor-search

Post Likes
    Define rebranding? Not a lot of that done. Heat Controller using Nordyne equipment. Ingersoll-Rand's Ameristar using Midea outdoor units. There's some private label like R E Michel Airtemp & Broan or Winair using Nutone, both made by Nordyne. Otherwise it's pretty clear what's in each family. Carrier, ICP, Allied, York etc.

Post Likes
    local contractor sites and they are calling things "Ever-Rest" for example...or "Oliver"....they "rebrand" them with their own unique name.

Post Likes
    The only thing that is "rebranded" is the equipment outside sticker. The manufacturer's specification label is still there which gives the brand, model, and serial numbers so you'll quickly know who made the equipment. Not a big deal either way. IMO anyway.

Post Likes
    In most cases, re branding is done for dealers, like mentioned above "oliver" unit is a re branded Trane unit which Oliver pays to have their name put on. Many manufactures produce multiple lines of equipment and give them different names like York/Luxaire or Trane/American Standard. This is not considered 're branding'. Trane/AS, Lennox, York/luxaire all offer a line of mini split systems which are all purchased from the same asian manufacture and the truely re branded by these companies. In this case, the name of the asian manufacture wouldn't likely mean much to you.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fishman1 View Post
    local contractor sites and they are calling things "Ever-Rest" for example...or "Oliver"....they "rebrand" them with their own unique name.
    Thats private labeling, not rebranding.

Amana Distinctions is rebranding.

Post Likes
    Thanks! Guess I meant private labeling. THAT'S what is annoying (IMO)

Post Likes
    It may not be the case in other areas, but in my area the contractors that have private labeled equipment tend to be among the highest priced ,AND do some of the lowest quality installs in the area.

Post Likes
    Anybody but Goodman and Nordyne make for these private labels?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It may not be the case in other areas, but in my area the contractors that have private labeled equipment tend to be among the highest priced ,AND do some of the lowest quality installs in the area.
    I don't think any units should be able to be private labeled, I really don't see any benefit in it, I mean were not talking hamburgers, "Bill's Big Burger".
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in