Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trane HP quote

Post Likes

Trane HP quote

I recently had a quote given to me for a Trane HP and gas furnace to be installed. I had the company come out after talking to them at a local home improvement show and the rep said they did load calculations on all their quotes. The gentalmen did not do one when he was at my house but said he could have another guy come by to talk to me about it (still waiting on a call from him a week later).

I was quoted a XV95 furnace and two HP's (XR16i,XR15). They would throw in a humidifier and whatever the lowest tstat trane has.

After doing some reading on Trane it looks as if the XR16I isn't that great at dehumidifing. Other than the obvious of lower seer numbers should I get quotes on the XB14 and XR13? All of them would be better than our current system and not looking for the most energy efficent unit.

I asked about the unit(s) he quoted being able to do "dehumidify on demand" through the tstat but he made it out like it would be allot of work. Is this true because I thought the tcon803 or Vision IQA can do that?

I didn't get it quoted but is Tranes Cleaneffect filter system that much better than a good media cabinet type? I'm sure the cost is more so is it worth the extra $$ if w don't have allergies ect?

Thanks

Post Likes
    IAQ control will do DOD if you don't get the 16 2 stage. It will also stage the gas backup. 802 won't do either.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Sorry, it should be a XL16I not a XR16I.

Post Likes
    803 will overcool to drop humidity but not DOD.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rk05 View Post
    I recently had a quote given to me for a Trane HP and gas furnace to be installed. I had the company come out after talking to them at a local home improvement show and the rep said they did load calculations on all their quotes. The gentalmen did not do one when he was at my house but said he could have another guy come by to talk to me about it (still waiting on a call from him a week later).

I was quoted a XV95 furnace and two HP's (XR16i,XR15). They would throw in a humidifier and whatever the lowest tstat trane has.

After doing some reading on Trane it looks as if the XR16I isn't that great at dehumidifing. Other than the obvious of lower seer numbers should I get quotes on the XB14 and XR13? All of them would be better than our current system and not looking for the most energy efficent unit.

I asked about the unit(s) he quoted being able to do "dehumidify on demand" through the tstat but he made it out like it would be allot of work. Is this true because I thought the tcon803 or Vision IQA can do that?

I didn't get it quoted but is Tranes Cleaneffect filter system that much better than a good media cabinet type? I'm sure the cost is more so is it worth the extra $$ if w don't have allergies ect?

Thanks

What size system? Trane 803 t-stat would be my recommendation as a base model t-stat thatwill handler all the above. While agree that the 803 will only over cool to help with humdity control other then that very good t-stat.

Post Likes
    On the 803, so if we had the tstat set to 77 and the humidity was high it would cool the house to say 74 to drop the humidity?

Would a seperate humidity meter be needed to run with the 803?

I'm leaning towards the IAQ unless it wouldn't be needed.

Post Likes
    It's to replace a 80K furnace and 3ton AC.

Post Likes
    If you are putting in an XV95 backing a heat pump, the IAQ will properly stage the gas backup. The 803 will not, you would have to use the timer which means timing to high just when the house is warming up. Dumb. If the house is substantially humid, the 803 will overcool up to 3°. If a bit humid, it may only overcool 1°. The IAQ will dehumidify on demand which is slowing the blower if the humidity is high. That greatly skews the cooling towards latent, humidity removal. That feature isn't available if you use the 16i 2 stage, only with the single stage or 20i.

Post Likes
    Baldloonie, The 16i and 20i are both out for my options for HP. I don't think I will see my return for the price of both units along with the 16i not getting favorable revews.

Thats also why I asked if I should be looking at the XB14 and XR13. If I go with a Trane it will be the XV95 two stage, VS system to take advatage of the VS blower for humidity.

Your in the same climate as me, not sure if you install Trane or not but what do you think of the XV95 pared with either the XR15, XB14 or XR13 and using the IAQ for the humidity on demand feature?

Post Likes
    If you are in a primarily heating climate the the 13 or 14 seer ac with a variable speed furnace and IAQ stat would be your best value.

Post Likes
    I would say we are almost on an even split between heating and cooling months. Although, we can get pretty humid during the cooling season which is why I'm curious about the DOD feature.

Post Likes
    Baldloonie, The 16i and 20i are both out for my options for HP. I don't think I will see my return for the price of both units along with the 16i not getting favorable revews.

Thats also why I asked if I should be looking at the XB14 and XR13. If I go with a Trane it will be the XV95 two stage, VS system to take advatage of the VS blower for humidity.

Your in the same climate as me, not sure if you install Trane or not but what do you think of the XV95 pared with either the XR15, XB14 or XR13 and using the IAQ for the humidity on demand feature?
    I would look at either the XB 14 or the XR 15 with the XV 95 furnace. Either way with a 3 ton coil and furnace 17.5 wide should yeild you 14.50 seer and 95 % effienct furnace.

Post Likes
    Many matches with the XR13 and XV95 will give you 14 SEER and 9 HSPF, some good numbers. The XB14 gains little in efficiency. The XR15 may gain you .5 SEER in a 3 ton and 17" furnace but the price premium for 1/2 a SEER point makes it a lousy investment. Spend $XXX to save $X. Another good control is Aprilaire's 8910 control. Less bucks than a VP IAQ and does a bit more.

http://www.aprilairecontractor.com/home-comfort-control

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    I would look at either the XB 14 or the XR 15 with the XV 95 furnace. Either way with a 3 ton coil and furnace 17.5 wide should yeild you 14.50 seer and 95 % effienct furnace.
    I actually hoping to be able to go down to a 2.5ton or possibly a 2ton unit once I get my air infiltration taken care of!

I will see if I can have them quote me the XB14 as well and find out when they can come back to do a proper load calculation.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Trane "CleanEffects" filter??

Post Likes
    I actually hoping to be able to go down to a 2.5ton or possibly a 2ton unit once I get my air infiltration taken care of!

I will see if I can have them quote me the XB14 as well and find out when they can come back to do a proper load calculation.

Clean effects works good when clean but needs to be serviced (cleaned) regularly to maintain effectiveness. Unless you have an allergy problem I would go with a standard 4-5" media filter.

Post Likes
    Thanks all for the expert advice!

Post Likes

Great way to think ahead as any energy improvements you make to the home will lower the size of system needed for the home. Even if (2.5) ton the numbers are still the same with a little gain but going with a proper sized system will save you the life of the system!

The clean effects is a love/hate topic that a lot of posters ask. Some say it not worth the money but I say it is if anyone in your family suffers from servere Algeria problems or yourself. I love mine but it was not for me but for my wife an little girl who suffer from bad allergies problems. The key as mentioned is to keep it cleaned and make sure your duct system is sealed supply and return. Plus return needs to be size properly for whichever size you go with.

Post Likes
    if you do go with the clean effects i would ask if them to put the 24 inch in the duct and not the 17 inch on the furnace. myself i think the xr 13 is good option

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    if you do go with the clean effects i would ask if them to put the 24 inch in the duct and not the 17 inch on the furnace. myself i think the xr 13 is good option
    Yes there is nothing wrong with the XR13. I was not thinking heat pump on outdoor unit at first then realized that original poster was looking at duel fuel set up.

I just looked at match ups with the XR13 heat pump with a XV 95 furnace. Depending on coil and furnace this selection can easily get 14 seer. I think this to be a good matchup that will help with the budget if you need to tighten the numbers up and not sacrifice seer rating.

To original poster just be sure you installer checks return air sizing. Undersized return and variable speed never work right. A variable speed furnace or air handler installed without proper return and for that matter supply will want to ramp up faster to overcome this. Just have them verify the sizing.

Post Likes
    I think from what I have read that with our current 3 ton system if we went down to a 2.5 ton we would be better with using our current duct work. I will have them check it to make sure though.

If the XR 13 can get me at least 14 seer then I will definitely check it out since I'm sure it will be cheaper and better than our current system.

We just want a dependable unit that runs better than our current one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in