Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pulley puller

cut it out and buy a new blade with motor, but if ya must in need to use the blade i cut it out, heat it shaft only so ya dont temper the metal on the blower, let cool... and then use lots of penetrant and push it out with the puller, ussually try it the other way out but depends. oh before anything use sand paper to clean it.

But my q i have is those are easy but now try a blower wheel with a 2 3/15 shaft that wount bugger. me had to borrow a 12+ reach puller but the damm shaft dont move out of the blower so new shaft and me cut it and do as said heat but i think a 12 lb sledge going to be a puller.

Quote Originally Posted by jinu117 View Post
    Sooo... what do you guys do on the one's that are so damned rusted that it just won't willing to come out ? (typically, totally rusted up)
    Mostly condenser fan in residential unit and some blower fan on packaged commercial units. Often times, after trying for 20 minutes, I give up and just grab matching (or at least similar one) from supplier. The only thing I don't like when this happens is... it's PITA to try to get exact same pitch/diameter, etc from the supplier and OEM parts tend to be.... 4 days away when customer is yelling... "NOW".
    I have never been told to or not to, but I know how to do my job and thats what it comes down to!!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    This is the one I have. It works pretty good.

I have the same one and i also have a three jaw that can be a two jaw puller that i use most on pulleys and condenser fan blades. I love the three jaw puller personally.

Quote Originally Posted by jinu117 View Post
    Sooo... what do you guys do on the one's that are so damned rusted that it just won't willing to come out ? (typically, totally rusted up)
    Mostly condenser fan in residential unit and some blower fan on packaged commercial units. Often times, after trying for 20 minutes, I give up and just grab matching (or at least similar one) from supplier. The only thing I don't like when this happens is... it's PITA to try to get exact same pitch/diameter, etc from the supplier and OEM parts tend to be.... 4 days away when customer is yelling... "NOW".
    Remove the keeper bolt, with piece of pipe and a hammer smack the fan blade towards the motor about 1/8", clean the shaft with emery cloth and a file between the blade and tip of the shaft, spary this http://www.pbblaster.com/store/morei...m?Product_ID=1 on the shaft and it will come off easily with the puller karsthuntr posted.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    -Albert Einstein

I got the same one but the "C" clips are gone and an extension? I like that thing. I used to use a piece of wood a hammer and lots of wd-40...No comparison. I also used to grind down the shaft to pull the motor where someone would have mushroomed the head. Again no comparison.

And when the puller won't do the trick. Use one of these....http://www.mrtool.com/browse.cfm/4,278.html

Great for removing motor pulleys too.

Rusted Fan Blade

I use a drift pin and hammer to drive shaft out. Use a 1/2" X8" pipe nipple cut the shaft of motor place the remaining shaft in the nipple part spray shaft with WD-40 lossen set screws if possible take a drift pin and drive the shaft through the blade. 98% effective those pullers are good too, but if they don't work use the drift pin and hammer. beaner
    beaner

Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    Ok, what's the long rod on the bottom of that pic for?
    Thats the "reach-around" rod...

Sorry, I could not resist....

If my assortment of pullers won't do the trick and I have enough room between the blade and motor to cut the shaft I will. Then I stand a piece of 1/2" pipe up on something solid and place the hub over it with the shaft sticking down into the pipe. Then I drive it out with a 3/8" punch.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyBJr View Post
    If my assortment of pullers won't do the trick and I have enough room between the blade and motor to cut the shaft I will. Then I stand a piece of 1/2" pipe up on something solid and place the hub over it with the shaft sticking down into the pipe. Then I drive it out with a 3/8" punch.

Same here. I also do the emery cloth/penetrating oil/ puller routine first, then out comes the sawzall and sledge.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

If it just wont come off with the pullers, I cut the shaft on the motor and press the shaft out on the arbor press. Granted it takes another trip back to the shop but it beats pounding away at the thing for an hour. The one I use cost less than $100

Name:  0951110-11.gif
Views: 317
Size:  4.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    This is the one I have. It works pretty good.

That was my first puller I bought back in 91 though it did not have the bent allen wrench for tightening the locking screws. Like the bent design to have it swing close to the puller. With that design you'll get longer swings before hitting the blower housing.

Still have that puller but upgraded to the posi lock puller.

Also have the ball joint remover forks too.

Over the years have used each one of the three and still do.

If those don't work there's always a trip back to the shop to the arbor press.

Just like others have said:

1. Sand the motor shaft.

2. Use PB Blaster.

3. Heat the hub.

One tip I would like to add. Use a 1/2 inch tubing brush for cordless screwdrivers to clean out the shaft hole on the fan hub. Does a great job and better than sandpaper or emery cloth wrapped around a phillips screwdriver shaft.

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    And when the puller won't do the trick. Use one of these....http://www.mrtool.com/browse.cfm/4,278.html

Great for removing motor pulleys too.
    when does the pickle fork come into play??? interesting

Quote Originally Posted by hvacmike85 View Post
    when does the pickle fork come into play??? interesting
    Wedge it between the motor and the shive and pound it down with a hammer. Pops them everytime!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast