+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulley puller

Post Likes

pulley puller

i'm about to purchase a pulley and fan blade puller and wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations.
    i've seen few people use the posilock puller
    http://www.posilock.com/Hub/hub.htm
    are there any better ones than this?

Post Likes
    This is the one I have. It works pretty good.

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    i have an ultimate puller (great tool), but want to get something for the larger pulleys.

Post Likes
    Karsthuntr--That puller is great. I have never ran into anything yet that I can't get off with it.

Post Likes
    I have the posi lock and it is great. I've had to replace the extension about 3 times in 5 years though, it is the weak link, about 10 bucks for that piece. The kit must be over 200 by now, but to me it's worth it. Just keep the acme threads lubed and it'll be good. Jaws expand 5 inches and a reach of 6 inches so it comes in handy. It's in the top left corner.

Post Likes
    i have the same one as karsthuntr .... its great but there are times i need something bigger & better, for the bigger stuff .. i havent found that yet so i make do

Post Likes
    if you dont need the bigger one often, I might sugest Harbor Freight. If I use a tool often, I want quality. However, it it aint often... I dont spend the bucks. (unless I find a deal at a garage sale or flea market)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post

Ok, what's the long rod on the bottom of that pic for?
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    For tightening up the allen headed machine screws. Personally, I've never read the directions and I've had three of them in my time as a service tech. There may be another use, but I haven't found one yet.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes

use that with a drill, 14.4 and it popps them off in a hurry!

Post Likes
    i hardly use the little ones .. never could make them work .. most times not large/long enough for what i needed them for

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rscamaro View Post
    For tightening up the allen headed machine screws. Personally, I've never read the directions and I've had three of them in my time as a service tech. There may be another use, but I haven't found one yet.

...Ron
    Hey that kinda makes sense.... I didn't notice until you mentioned it, it does indeed look to be a hex lol.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Sooo... what do you guys do on the one's that are so damned rusted that it just won't willing to come out ? (typically, totally rusted up)
    Mostly condenser fan in residential unit and some blower fan on packaged commercial units. Often times, after trying for 20 minutes, I give up and just grab matching (or at least similar one) from supplier. The only thing I don't like when this happens is... it's PITA to try to get exact same pitch/diameter, etc from the supplier and OEM parts tend to be.... 4 days away when customer is yelling... "NOW".

Post Likes
    cut it out and buy a new blade with motor, but if ya must in need to use the blade i cut it out, heat it shaft only so ya dont temper the metal on the blower, let cool... and then use lots of penetrant and push it out with the puller, ussually try it the other way out but depends. oh before anything use sand paper to clean it.

But my q i have is those are easy but now try a blower wheel with a 2 3/15 shaft that wount bugger. me had to borrow a 12+ reach puller but the damm shaft dont move out of the blower so new shaft and me cut it and do as said heat but i think a 12 lb sledge going to be a puller.

Quote Originally Posted by jinu117 View Post
    Sooo... what do you guys do on the one's that are so damned rusted that it just won't willing to come out ? (typically, totally rusted up)
    Mostly condenser fan in residential unit and some blower fan on packaged commercial units. Often times, after trying for 20 minutes, I give up and just grab matching (or at least similar one) from supplier. The only thing I don't like when this happens is... it's PITA to try to get exact same pitch/diameter, etc from the supplier and OEM parts tend to be.... 4 days away when customer is yelling... "NOW".
    I have never been told to or not to, but I know how to do my job and thats what it comes down to!!!

Post Likes

Wink

I have the same one and i also have a three jaw that can be a two jaw puller that i use most on pulleys and condenser fan blades. I love the three jaw puller personally.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jinu117 View Post
    Remove the keeper bolt, with piece of pipe and a hammer smack the fan blade towards the motor about 1/8", clean the shaft with emery cloth and a file between the blade and tip of the shaft, spary this http://www.pbblaster.com/store/morei...m?Product_ID=1 on the shaft and it will come off easily with the puller karsthuntr posted.
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
    -Albert Einstein

Post Likes
    I got the same one but the "C" clips are gone and an extension? I like that thing. I used to use a piece of wood a hammer and lots of wd-40...No comparison. I also used to grind down the shaft to pull the motor where someone would have mushroomed the head. Again no comparison.

Post Likes
    And when the puller won't do the trick. Use one of these....http://www.mrtool.com/browse.cfm/4,278.html

Great for removing motor pulleys too.

Post Likes

Rusted Fan Blade

I use a drift pin and hammer to drive shaft out. Use a 1/2" X8" pipe nipple cut the shaft of motor place the remaining shaft in the nipple part spray shaft with WD-40 lossen set screws if possible take a drift pin and drive the shaft through the blade. 98% effective those pullers are good too, but if they don't work use the drift pin and hammer. beaner
    beaner

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    Thats the "reach-around" rod...

Sorry, I could not resist....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in