Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pulley puller

Quote Originally Posted by KB Cool View Post
    Wedge it between the motor and the shive and pound it down with a hammer. Pops them everytime!!!
    it would have to be pretty close to the motor to do that, cant recall alot being like that, I'm gona look at one and see now!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacmike85 View Post
    it would have to be pretty close to the motor to do that, cant recall alot being like that, I'm gona look at one and see now!
    Yeah it does. I use it when replacing belt driven exhaust fan motors mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by jinu117 View Post
    Sooo... what do you guys do on the one's that are so damned rusted that it just won't willing to come out ? (typically, totally rusted up)
    Mostly condenser fan in residential unit and some blower fan on packaged commercial units. Often times, after trying for 20 minutes, I give up and just grab matching (or at least similar one) from supplier. The only thing I don't like when this happens is... it's PITA to try to get exact same pitch/diameter, etc from the supplier and OEM parts tend to be.... 4 days away when customer is yelling... "NOW".
    really... sand paper and zoom spout oiler

Posi locks are worth the money if you have to pull a lot of fans. We had a few Trane RTAC chillers that went through a cracking fan blade spell. The fan blades were rust welded and ate supply house fan pullers like candy. Picked up a posi lock and coupled it to a 1/2" impact and never looked back. Also as a side note: when installing the new blades I coated the inside of the hub and motor shaft with marine grade antiseize. Once installed I painted the top of the fan hub and shaft with antiseize (a thin coat doesn't sling and holds up to elements). Whenever we change motors or blades now honestly we just loosen set screws and pull by hand or a slight deadblow tap.

I use a Jaw puller but honestly my best tool for fan blades and Bearings is mesh cloth and LPS 2
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Confused yeppers

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    This is the one I have. It works pretty good.

this is what I have used for years, when it does not work-- sandpaper oil and retry again and again till I have to heat it up and try again, than I am thinking- why didn't i just buy a new one
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

The ultimate puller is the way to go. Its always nice to have a 3 arm posilock too for big pulleys

I usuallyget a new fan blade when i replace a motor. i have had pullers bend the hub.a fan blade is cheap and usually less expensive than labor to cut a shaft and pound it out
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by viceman View Post
    I usuallyget a new fan blade when i replace a motor. i have had pullers bend the hub.a fan blade is cheap and usually less expensive than labor to cut a shaft and pound it out
    what if your are wayyyyyyyy out in the woods somewhere and could be finished with it by the time you got back from the store
    It is what it is unless I say differently !!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123