Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good luck. On the break subject. Just wait for it.No need to have a big piece of equipment. That is going to take up alot of start up cash.

So you are one of those who yearns to be free, master of your density! It can be done, and why not you, just go for it! Do good work, be honest, avoid pitfalls, you'll do great, or maybe you will find that it's not really for you. most important have fun doing it!

Oh and don't forget the worst part is waiting for the phone to ring and Be carefull what you wish for.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Have you tried to make a deal with the guy you were working for? You possibly could offer him a share of the profits for a few years for his name and customers. I worked for a guy without the best reputation. When he retired I bought him out over 5 years. When people heard he was no longer here, sales immediately increased. If you have been subbing for him, you probably are familiar with some of his customers. Additionally, you can cover his warranty work, allowing him to cut the cord sooner.

Financing is the core issue before going to start any business.I think there should be about 40% your own investment and 60% may be financed by any financial institution at the minimum lower interest rate.

Quote Originally Posted by contractorr View Post
    Financing is the core issue before going to start any business.I think there should be about 40% your own investment and 60% may be financed by any financial institution at the minimum lower interest rate.
    A hvac company is attrative because of low start up costs. Getting a loan is the kiss of death.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    A hvac company is attrative because of low start up costs. Getting a loan is the kiss of death.
    Damn right!!!

Nothing wrong with wanting to start your own business. I do think that you need more experience though as 5 years IMO is not enough.

I started my business with about 5k.

I got my Mechanical license.
    Submitted legal documents as an S corporation.
    Contacted my State Farm Insurance and got a liability policy.
    Bought a service van.(financed)
    Bought quickbooks pro.
    Printed up invoices, proposals, stickers and cards.
    Small add in phone book, local papers, and church papers.
    Opened a business checking account.
    Merchant services to take credit cards.
    Business phone and phone number.
    Waited for the phone to start ringing.

Been doing this 22 years, the last 12 being self employed. Took about 6 years to build a customer base to where I do very little advertising anymore.
    I am the only employee of my business because thats the road I chose. That being said, I can only do so much, and only make so much, but it is enough for me to be content.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12