Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone use a yellow jacket 78060 gas pressure test kit?

I picked one up at a pawn shop today for $30. Looks like it's never been used and I'm curious what everybody thinks of them.

I have one as my back up, I primarily use a Fieldpiece SDMN5. Love both of them
    ®

Thanks. This one is actually my first manometer. I was looking around for the Fieldpiece and found the YJ instead. Don't really have the money to be buying new right now at the supply house.

I hate to break it to you, but that kit isn't useful for manifold pressures on natural gas systems because the 0-35" WC scale is to large.
    The one they make, with a 0-10" WC scale, is ok for NG, but it is still a diaphragm type gauge, so isn't great.

The one you have is ok for checking LP gas systems.
    Neither one is at all useful for air side diagnostics.

I'd recommend a digital manometer, because they can be use for airflow diagnostics and gas pressure testing.
    My personal favorite is the Testo 510.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks Mark. Getting a digital is something I plan on doing. I couldn't find one in the pawn shops and I don't have the money right now to buy one at a supply house.

Do the instructions still state "to thump" dial?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but that kit isn't useful for manifold pressures on natural gas systems because the 0-35" WC scale is to large.
    The one they make, with a 0-10" WC scale, is ok for NG, but it is still a diaphragm type gauge, so isn't great.

The one you have is ok for checking LP gas systems.
    Neither one is at all useful for air side diagnostics.

I'd recommend a digital manometer, because they can be use for airflow diagnostics and gas pressure testing.
    My personal favorite is the Testo 510.
    I have to agree with Mr Beiser, you scale is much too high to read accurately...the larger the scale the larger the margin of error.

I do carry the YJ analog with the 0" to 10" scale (Uncle Clover gave it to me ) and I also carry a Testo 510 and a UEI digital manometer.

The UEI seats more firmly on the duct work because the magnet is bigger than the magnet on the 510. But all three have a place and all three read accurately.

i would also suggest a digital manometer as well. I had a YJ analog pressure test kit, but had to get a digital for newer furnaces that require more precise manifold pressure. You can get a good differential manometer for $170 online. Testo 510 is my favorite also.

I return that YJ to the pawn shop if you can and save your money for a digital. You won't get much use out of the one you got..sorry

Don't forget about a good combustion analyzer. They can be more useful then a gas pressure manometer..

Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    i would also suggest a digital manometer as well. I had a YJ analog pressure test kit, but had to get a digital for newer furnaces that require more precise manifold pressure. You can get a good differential manometer for $170 online. Testo 510 is my favorite also.

I return that YJ to the pawn shop if you can and save your money for a digital. You won't get much use out of the one you got..sorry

Don't forget about a good combustion analyzer. They can be more useful then a gas pressure manometer..
    Nytefrog, don't you think he should keep the analog as a back up?

Even though the scale is larger than the usual analog it could still be useful on NG and LP, should he ever encounter it.

no, i actually have two digitals with me. I use them to check pressure switches and HX pressure drop which the analog won't be useful at. If i still had the analog it won't be a bad idea to keep it for emergency but that why i invested in two digitals.

The range of the analog gotten at the pawn shop it to large to be very useful. Just saying that because when a furnace high fires rquires between 3.4-3.8" h20 that analog won't give me a reading i could trust
    Last edited by Nytefog; 02-01-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks guys. I know the digitals are better but works been so slow right now this is really all I can afford. Going all digital is in my future. But thats probably gonna have to wait for summer. Bad thing is I was actually looking for recovery machines. All of them were way overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by clifpaul View Post
    Thanks guys. I know the digitals are better but works been so slow right now this is really all I can afford. Going all digital is in my future. But thats probably gonna have to wait for summer. Bad thing is I was actually looking for recovery machines. All of them were way overpriced.
    I'm sure in Texas A\C is more of a focus then heat. Your probably better off investing in a good set of digital gauges. I didn't believe in digital gauges until i used a set and now i can't believe i ever worked with out them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast