inkjet or laser?

my home office printer just gave up today and i need it bad. what is better without spending a ton of cash. i don't do alot of printing. the printer i need to replace is around 10 years old and i have only changed the ink 5-6 times. it needs to be wireless and have fax. i don't realy care about brand at this point. i am just wondering if i should go laser or inkjet. and why.

I've never had much luck with inkjets. I've had an HP LaserJet M1212nf for 3 or 4 years. Never had any problem with it.

Inkjets suck if you print very little (ink dries out after a period of inactivity) or a lot (too expensive per page). Lasers are generally rock solid and these days they are cheap enough for me not to even consider ink jet for SOHO use or even just personal use. Had good experiences with HP, Brother and Samsung mostly because they use good printing engines and put more work into compatibility with other platforms like Mac and Linux (and it's always good to keep your options open). All the features you're looking for will put you in the $200-300 range on the Canadian market (not counting mad sale pricing), for something like a Brother MFC-7860, HP LJP M1217 nfw or Samsung SCX-3405.

A big consideration is if you need or want to print color. Do you plan on making printing photo quality prints on glossy or matte photo paper? Color lasers are a bit more expensive than b&w models. The cost per page is much lower for lasers and the longevity of your printed pages is superior. Also printed inkjet pages are not waterproof and the ink will run if they get wet. There are pros and cons for both. For a business, a b&w laser is what I would get and if you decide you want an occasional color print or photo add a cheap color inkjet for $50 or $60.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

[QUOT

Flashcacrd and your local FedEx my friend.