Hi, could someone help me with a problem I’m having with a compressor shutting off intermittently. Not getting any straight answers from my contractor. Warranty is about be done, so hoping someone has some ideas.
- Geonergy GA36 3 ton heat pump, single stage heating + cooling, regular compressor (Not a Scroll) – I believe is same a GeoComfort Systems
- Auxiliary 10 KW electrical heater, second stage
- Open loop – circulating water from well, Honeywell actuator opens/closes the valve that circulates water
- The thermostat sends the signal to turn on the compressor to the actuator, which in turn sends to the heat pump
- White Rogers Thermostat
After running the heating for exactly 4 consecutive hours, the compressor shuts off for 5 minutes and then attempts to restart. I can hear the “contactor” shut off at 4 hours exactly (sounds like a spark). Then at 4:05, the “contactor” opens but the compressor stays idle. Only around 40 minutes later the compressor starts again (I don’t hear the “contactor” opening).
I shot video for 13 consecutive hours with the thermostat setpoint far above the temperature of the house, so it called for heat the whole time. I shut the breaker for the 10KW auxiliary off so it was heating only with the compressor. The compressor shut off every 4 hours. I analyzed the video, see below.
My understanding is that the compressor should be able to run constantly all day if needed because it is internally cooled by the cool refrigerant that it sucks in to compress.
13 hours video – Result:
- Stopped/restarted 3 times:
o 4:00 hours (idle for 43 minutes)
o 8:05 hours (idle for 10 minutes)
o 12:10 hours (idle for 38 minutes)
- Breaking down the 1st time the compressor stopped at 4 hours:
o 4 hours: compressor stops
“Contactor” appears to close (spark sound)
o 4 hours 5 minutes: compressor attempts to restart
“Contactor” appears to open (spark sound), compressor does not start
o 4 hours 43 minutes: compressor restarts
No sound of “Contactor” opening, compressor starts
- Replaced Thermostat (formerly a Climatouch – same issue with both thermostats)
- Replaced Actuator (was faulty once when did not send signal to heat pump)
- There are no error fault codes in memory on the heat pump (no blinking lights)
- Thermostat is sending 24 volts to heat pump motherboard (C+Y pins) through the actuator at all times
- Issue occurs in cooling mode also
- Issue is not new, has been there since installation
- The water circulating the open loop is working fine, never had a problem, well is sized properly, good flow
- Pretty sure the refrigerant charge is OK (heating and cooling effectively), last time guy checked it he said it was good
- Airflow seems OK, the flow in house is good and I change the filters
- Geonergy Installation Manual – includes wiring schematic
- I would have uploaded a 1 minute mp4 video to the thread, but the site said it was an invalid file
I called the manufacturer and they said it was normal for the unit to shut off for exactly 5 minutes after 4 hours. But it is not normal that it stays shut for 45 minutes. I'm trying to pinpoint further before I do a service call.
I hope that I’ve provided enough info, I’m not an expert on this stuff. Thanks in advance for your help!