Ruud Heat Pump High Pressure Shutoff

Ruud Heat Pump High Pressure Shutoff

I have a two year old Ruud heat pump 3 ton outside unit that's giving me a high pressure shutoff light. The outside unit stops operating while the handler just runs nonstop.

When the unit was first installed, it ran perfectly for 6 months. I installed a programmable stat on my own and had some issues getting all the settings correct. I take responsibility for that. In the meantime of getting it all straight, my HVAC guy said that the thermal expansion valve was bad, and he replaced it and added freon. Since then, starting about a year ago, I've had trouble with this shutoff deal. It only happens in mild weather (40-75 degrees)where we have cool nights and warm days that require the use of both the heat and AC in a short period of time. It's the switch from one to another that seems to make it angry.

Once the summer starts, it runs problem free for months. At first it seemed like something I could live with, but it's getting pretty annoying and I don't want any further damage. I also can't afford to keep paying him to come out and not fix it properly. I have another 2 ton equivalent unit in my house, and I've never had a problem with it.

I've done some searching and others with similar issues were told it could be that the system was overcharged, or a switch was bad. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Thanks.

I would have the pressures and temps checked you sound like you are on the right track, I would try to get a warranty call back from the same tech too.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

You could have too dirty of an air filter. Or something that is making the indoor air flow low? Does this have electric heat back up or gas furnace back up?
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Weaver View Post
    You could have too dirty of an air filter. Or something that is making the indoor air flow low? Does this have electric heat back up or gas furnace back up?
    I change filters regularly. In fact, I recently changed to a more breathable one because I was concerned the others were to restrictive.

I have electric heat back up.

The thing about the warranty...the TEV was "under warranty", but that still cost me $$$. I guess I'd at least like to know what it could be and can't be before I call.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 01-29-2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: pricing

I guess the tev was thre wrong guess at your expense- not good. Time for senior tech.
    Trying not to be a Hack.

My gut feeling is that they overcharged the system, but I want to ask the experts.

Did the tech add refrigerant because the system was low or just because he thinks more is better? After he changed the TXV he should have weighed the charge in and then checked subcooling and superheat. If he didn't do those things then it is likely it is overcharged.

I agree with kdean. You need to have the system properly checked by subcooling (for expansion valve). I would get another lead tech out to check out the system properly.