Admin eMail, Lady needs help

I have a house that is five years old. I am the original homeowner, but the house was built before I got into it. I am a single female - so handy - but not the handiest, and on a very limited budget.

I have a Heatilator Model ND4236I (at least that is what the label on in the inside reads). However, th emanual that was also laying in there only had 4236L or 4236IL as a choice, so I am guessing it is 4236IL.

That being said, I went to turn on the fireplace this year with the remote, and it wouldn't start. I called the building superintendent over this complex (because they are still building), and he told me how to take the front bottom grate thing off, and lo and behold was all this wiring, paperwork, etc.

When he instructed me to slide the switch on the little black box to on, the fireplace did start and work properly. And yes, I tried replacing the battery in the remote, and when you push the button the remote, it does turn red; however, it does not ignite the fireplace.

My remote only does on/off - nothing else. [Again, remember I didn't get to pick anything - I always thought it was weird that I couldn't turn it down or anything like that - but another conversation for another time.]

Anyway, I have a couple of questions for you. I went online, and in the thick manual, and I see a picture of this part, but no where do I find an explanation for it. It is called the Battery Pack. And it looks like this:

Sends image of a battery pack with no batteries (AA) in it.

So the first question is should this have batteries in it? It has never had batteries in it the entire time I lived here, and I knew none of this was underneath the fireplace.

The second question is since the fireplace does come on if you manually slide that slider to "ON" ... in your opinion what would be causing the fireplace NOT to come on by the remote?

I hope I hear back from you, and I surely do appreciate your help.

The remote has to be programmed to work with the control, it's usually in the setup, the installer should have done it though.
    I have seen bad controls right out of the box more than once also.

These units are set up with a backup battery pack for operation during a power outage. Depending upon the control system installed it may or may not have the batteries installed in this power pack all the time. What happens is, if they Fp is not set up for it, the control will pull power first from the batteries until they are dead then the 120vac to the 3 VAC transformer.

Usually a remote receiver will have 4 AA batts while the transmitters usually use 3 AAA batteries. If the receiver of this unit is wall mounted there is a manual backup switch just like a light switch.

Those manuals cover several versions of the unit depending upon the type of control and fuel. I suffix is for their Intellifire IPI ignition system. L is for LP. You go by the rating plate sticker attached to the fireplace in the valve compartment. Actually, if the homeowner contacts Heatilator or one of their installing distributors FireSide Hearth and Home with the model and serial number, they can confirm the week manufactured and through which distributor it shipped. If there is a service history, it is tracked by serial number through the life of that unit--not by homeowner names or addresses. They can get more info. through www.fireplaces.com, which is owned by Hearth & Home Technologies, the parent company of Heatilator, Heat & Glo, Quadrafire and Harman brands.

The Heatilator Novus series is the best selling fireplace of all time.
    HTH

Is this issue resolved? Sounds like it needs the 4aa batteries found in the same box that she slid the switch to the on position. there is also a small learn button that sometimes needs to be pressed to learn the hand held frequency.