+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Work in Southern CA

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    My apprenticeship training courses in NO WAY prepared me for the job I do every day.

Not the 5 years of schooling

Not the STAR exam

Not the continuing education courses

Nothing.

Now, I've spent my own time, on this site, on the internet, in the books that I compulsively collect and read, on the RSES website reading the SAM manual and you want to talk about education....

So, in short, the union's apprenticeship program didn't do a lot to prepare me for the job that I do today.
    I'm not saying that it made me who I am either but it did push me to go to school for 2 times a week from 6-9pm it makes you want to learn for the money. I agree 90% of my training came from the field learning and watching my supervisor. I feel that the union will give you better morals then a new kid not coming up in the union! I have seen people come and go but they guys that go thru the apprenticeship seem to do better in their career.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Icanfixitall View Post
    I'm not saying that it made me who I am either but it did push me to go to school for 2 times a week from 6-9pm it makes you want to learn for the money. I agree 90% of my training came from the field learning and watching my supervisor. I feel that the union will give you better morals then a new kid not coming up in the union! I have seen people come and go but they guys that go thru the apprenticeship seem to do better in their career.
    My experience is the exact opposite of this.

My experience is that those who go through the apprenticeship have the same "gimme" mentality that too many in this country have.

They expect the "cushy" jobs and big money without having to put in the blood, sweat and effort to EARN their way to those jobs.

They have the mindset to do just enough to get by rather than doing whatever is necessary to do the job and, when called on it, fall back on the union to "rescue" them.

By comparison, those that have worked outside the union and get a life experience credit transfer into the union tend to work harder and are more willing to put in the time and effort to build their skills on their own time and to continuously advance their skills and knowledge.

As I said, this is my experience and your mileage may vary.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dowadudda View Post
    I have a question for you. Do you feel with your apprenticeship, passed Star exam that you are an adequately trained commercial refrigeration technician?
    I know guys who have gone through the Unions Apprenticeship and turned Journeyman...who have little clue about what they're doing.

I know guys who have gone through Sources "Tek-Skills"... who have little clue about what they are doing.

I have never gone through the apprenticeship, but I have gone through Tek-Skills. I can't say one is better than the other, as I've never gone through both.

But I can say neither Tek-Skills or the Apprenticeship alone will make an adequately trained technician... I've worked hand in hand with guys from both programs who are not adequately trained.

I'm with JP on the need for continued education, spending your own time to further yourself & stay up to date.

That's the guy who's 1 in 100 who will become an adequately trained technician.

Post Likes
    you guys screwed this up on me. I was gonna try to do something. nevermind. dumba$$e$.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    My experience is the exact opposite of this.

My experience is that those who go through the apprenticeship have the same "gimme" mentality that too many in this country have.

They expect the "cushy" jobs and big money without having to put in the blood, sweat and effort to EARN their way to those jobs.

They have the mindset to do just enough to get by rather than doing whatever is necessary to do the job and, when called on it, fall back on the union to "rescue" them.

By comparison, those that have worked outside the union and get a life experience credit transfer into the union tend to work harder and are more willing to put in the time and effort to build their skills on their own time and to continuously advance their skills and knowledge.

As I said, this is my experience and your mileage may vary.
    What really gets me is when a non union tech comes into the union and gets his journeyman card with little to no effort... This has nothing to do with phase loss. The standard should be they have to take the UA apprentice test as well as the UA STAR exam. Most of the new Journeyman all have to do it but why shouldn't they?? If a guy comes from non union I'm all for it, thats just making our union stronger, but they should have to do the same as the other journeyman do..

Post Likes
    What really gets me is when a non union tech comes into the union and gets his journeyman card with little to no effort... This has nothing to do with phase loss. The standard should be they have to take the UA apprentice test as well as the UA STAR exam. Most of the new Journeyman all have to do it but why shouldn't they?? If a guy comes from non union I'm all for it, thats just making our union stronger, but they should have to do the same as the other journeyman do..
    When I joined Local 230 down here in San Diego, I had a year to take the same test that an apprentice does when he turns out in order to keep my journeyman card.

Post Likes
    So Hillphoenix is Union in CA? I was told that they're non-Union here. Guys at Source (and even non-Union Hussmann here) tend to compare their 60 Hrs paychecks to 40 Hrs Union shops paychecks. Of course, the 60 is higher, but the Union shops are about $5/Hr higher. I'd rather work for a Union shop at 40 Hrs with two pensions and health & welfare paid for. I'm not going to complain about paying membership dues and working dues because it is what it is.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    So Hillphoenix is Union in CA?
    Yup

Post Likes
    I came from non union side 10+ years ago. When I came over , they asked others in the trade about me, I spoke with the people hiring me,and blamo,I became a "journeyman" (whatever that means)

I never went through the union schooling.I know many that have also worked around it as I have. Some of these guys are the best in the trade. I know guys that are union for life that are awesome, I know lifers that are dumb ass hell.

Just because you spend time in a room with another guy talking to you , means NOTHING.

Not everyone takes the same path from A-B , but when we arrive , it's all the same. We all pay our dues in different ways. ( I know , I payed mine)

Being a tech union/non-union and learning in the field, could be argued, is a better way to learn.

Can't we all just get along? SoCal HP is the best ever,the rest suck(flame suit on)

That Phaseloss is a slippery one

Post Likes
    Do you guys go into DoubleTime after 12 Hrs.?

Post Likes
    Do you guys go into DoubleTime after 12 Hrs.?
    If you mean me, no

The only double time we see is holidays and "new"construction on Sundays.

Source gets all kinds of DT....that's one thing I miss .

Post Likes
    How does Source pay DT?

Post Likes
    How does Source pay DT?
    After 12 hours worked in a day.

Post Likes
    In california after 12 hours in a day it's double time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jackintheboxtec View Post
    In california after 12 hours in a day it's double time.
    Not for me or Flanders

Post Likes
    Working under the ARCA agreement?

Post Likes
    I did my interview with Hill Phoenix, waiting to hear!

Post Likes
    I did my interview with Hill Phoenix, waiting to hear!
    good luck!

hopefully they don't tell you to give them 30 days to figure things out?

Post Likes
    If California labor law says Double Time after 12 Hrs, then that supersedes you CBA. Double Time on Holiday Days and Sundays are different than Double Time in excess of 12 Hrs worked.

Post Likes
    If California labor law says Double Time after 12 Hrs, then that supersedes you CBA. Double Time on Holiday Days and Sundays are different than Double Time in excess of 12 Hrs worked.
    The local union halls, representatives, handbooks, etc. All imply that the CBA supercedes california law by stating that you only get double time on holidays or Sundays if you're under the ARCA agreement. Those of us that worked under the same agreement that the steamfitters worked under (at least in Local 230 San Diego) got DT at 10 hours, any Sunday, any holiday, any time we were called out after hours if we had already returned home after an 8 hour shift...

That double time was the excuse my last union employer used to lay me off after they hired a couple local 250 ARCA guys from up north and I wouldn't agree to switch to the ARCA agreement back when Local 230 had zero ARCA journeymen and the pay scale difference between the two agreements was roughly $10/hour...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in