Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Post Likes

    Hot Side Equipment Tool List

    I am getting into hot side equipment service for the first time. I am looking at putting together a tool set for hot side equipment besides refrigeration work. What specialty tools should I include in a tool set? Also is there any special meters I need to pick up for working on microwaves? Any help would be appreciated!

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Here's my "not all inclusive" 2 cents worth:

    Amplify on your basic handtools:
    You'll use them all. All types of drivers (including Torx & Robertson bits) SAE & Metric wrenches of every variety. As with HVAC, a 6 (or 10)-in-1 is indispensible. I had to expand my tool collection to include a 3/4" drive set and all combination wrenches to the sizes from 1" up to 2" for certain "special" jobs. **SPECIAL MENTION**: 7/16" hex wrench. You probably don't have one in your set, SO, if you can find one, get it so you have it.

    You'll have to do some, so a collection pipe wrenches & propane torch. I say that because I had poor results with MAPP or acetylene. They just get too hot. The pipe wrenches, up to 24", become a necessity for busting loose nasty, greasy, "tight" gas hose or pipe connections.

    Wire soldering set:
    I used my soldering pencil often.

    Combustible gas leak detector, a basic manometer AND gas gage. You probably have these, but that pointy rubber adapter that came with my Yellow Jacket gas gage set made reading gas pressure on a stove very simple since it will slip right over the orifice of one stove burner removed for the purpose of reading pressure. Also, have gas pipe charts handy for when you want to verify equipment has proper gas line sizes feeding it or, in some cases, sizing the main line feeding all the equipment.

    Digital Multimeter (DMM):
    Get one that can read temperature above 500 degrees or so (for spot checking cooking temperatures), microamps (for testing flame sensor circuits) as well as capacitor test.

    Analog Multimeter:
    My old Simpson is a great back up. Also - its ohmeter can read through a high voltage diode in a microwave. A standard DMM won't.

    Digital Thermometer:
    For accuracy in calibrating ovens, fryers and griddles. I recommend Atkins. You will also need an array of probes. 1) A basic bead probe (the one that looks like a wire). 2) Surface probe (I prefer the anvil type) for calibrating griddles. 3) Oven probe. 4) Immersion probe (for calibrating fryers).

    A floorjack:
    Invaluable tool for installing garbage disposers. Also good for changing casters & legs, etc.

    QUALITY drill bits:
    Drilling stainless steel can be a challenge. The best are solid carbide bits - but are very pricey. A cheaper alternative is good, quality cobalt bits. However, some grades of stainless just "don't wanna have no hole drilled in it."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Post Likes
    I can't add much more to what Ectofix wrote.

    I'll add a couple things you may already have - orifice kit. You'll be cleaning out a lot of pilots. Comes in handy to clean out burner orifices as well.

    Nitrogen tank/compressed air. You'll be blowing out dirty burners. A LOT.

    I stock up on a lot of high temp wire and stainless terminals of ALL sizes. I keep that all in a separate kit (crimpers, strippers), so I can just grab the bag and start cutting.

    And you'll never worry about your tools getting rusty.

    Edit: A spare uniform in your truck. Nothing worse than getting knee deep in grease first thing in the morning and having it on you all day.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Post Likes
    oh man..... glad its not me fixing that stuff.... its nasty
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes


    Yes - a orifice bit set. Expensive, but will be a necessity at some point. For simply cleaning burner orifices, a much cheaper alternative is a small gage torch tip cleaning set.

    With Kevin_1963 mentioning high temp wire/terminals, that brings to mind other odd "sundry" type items:

    1) "SPECIAL" COMPRESSION FITTINGS & ALUMINUM TUBING: You won't find some of these things at Ace Hardware or Lowe's.
    You'll want to put together a kit for variations to each compression fitting size. Naturally you will need 1/4" & 3/8". You will also need 1/8", 3/16" and 7/16". You should get you about a 10' roll of aluminum tubing for each of these sizes as well.
    Some manufacturers supply compression size combinations which, it seems, you can only get from THEM (i.e., 1/4 compression nut BUT sized for 3/16 tubing). So, as you get these odd items, hang on to them because you never know when you'll need them.

    2) STAINLESS STEEL HARDWARE KIT: UNC and UNF from #4 up to 1/4" for most applications. Also get some stainless sheetmetal screws of various sizes.

    3) KNOWLEDGE of components you probably don't see much of in HVAC/Refrigeration:

    a) Infinite control - An electric control unique to cooking equipment that's used to cycle heat on and off instead of a thermostat. Serves as a "seat-of-the-pants" temperature control. They're simple, but sometimes misunderstood.

    b) Thermostats - variations from bi-metal to Fenwal and KX style for electric controls. For gas controls, the differences between GS, FD and BJWA series thermostats AND whether they're snap-action or throttle-action. If throttle action, how to properly adjust after installing.

    c) Gas burners and controls - such as a basic gas burner valve to pilot safety valves, BLEED-type combination valves (used with GS type thermostat), ignition controls, etc. The differences between thermocouples and thermopiles and their applications.

    d) Water controls - you will spend MUCH more time dealing with them on steamers than you ever thought to do on ice machines. Some older controls still out there will ZAP you you if you're not careful.

    4) RESOURCES: There are HUNDREDS of manufacturers that make THOUSANDS of different items of kitchen equipment - from general items like your ranges, ovens, special, "one use" items like automated fry dispensers, steamer-scales, etc. I cannot put enough emphasis on using tech support. So, you need to compile a list of the manufacturer's phone numbers. ON-LINE, is a terrific resource.

    Well, there's my other two-cents worth. I'm up to four cents.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Denver , Co.
    Post Likes
    Thanks ECtoFIX , only thing i have thats i little diff is in stead of floor jack i use a "auto body frame straightener" , lift griddles , entire units ,
    little more versatile.

    Thanks again
    Outlaw guns? only outlaws will have guns
    Those who live by the sword are SHOT by us who don't.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Post Likes


    Bearing puller, fan blade puller (for convection ovens) a 4 foot pry bar, impact driver, microwave leak detector, tap and die set, extractors, extractors, extractors! (Steam and screws don'tt mis), calibration screw driver (allpoints part #72-1007 get a few of em), a pick set, wire wheels, dual snap ring pliers, glass cloth electrical tape and ceramic wire nuts (for high heat applications), loctite 567 a food safe thread sealant you'll need a lot of food safe stuff as fittings, etc now come into contact with food, high temp (red 500 degree) silicone. Call Allpoints 1-800-332-2500 and get a catalog.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2001
    South Mississippi
    Post Likes
    Plus a smartphone or tablet with the PartsTown app. Hands down best source of manufacturers manuals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.