+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford Fusion Hybrid and Hyundai Sonata BlueDrive

Post Likes

Ford Fusion Hybrid and Hyundai Sonata BlueDrive

In recent months I've had the chance to drive both of these cars through the city streets and highways of Houston. The hospital where I work has a fleet of dozens of these and other models as well but these are the ones I have driven. Honestly to me the Hyundai seemed a little more refined, quiet and comfortable inside and the integrated control console was neato. The Ford I drive lacks the info-center. The acceleration on both is very good and the range was never an issue on either car. I think the Fusion claims an overall economy of 47mpg and the Sonata 50-50mpg. In about 150 miles in the Ford one day I only felt the gas engine kick in once and it was pretty noisy and noticeable. When the engine in the Sonata kicked in it was imperceptible to me. The dash instruments were the only way I could tell.

Just wondering if anybody has driven either one or maybe something similar and what your impressions were?

After driving both it's really got me thinking about getting a hybrid someday.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    I don't know about the hybrids but I test drove a v8 Hyundai genesis and it was bad ass.

Post Likes
    Send your money to Korea, or keep it on shore....

Post Likes
    Most or all Sonatas are built in the US, my Fusion was built in Mexico. Which benefits Americans more?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Most or all Sonatas are built in the US, my Fusion was built in Mexico. Which benefits Americans more?
    El Fusion, señor

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    El Fusion, señor
    how?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    how?
    I meant it as a joke.. That's why my answer was in Spanish

Post Likes
    Bueno!
    Compras la Hyundai, pues?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    Bueno!
    Compras la Hyundai, pues?
    No, gracias.. Ya me compre un Honda Civic, hecho en Canada

Post Likes
    When profits go overseas, who benefits from the research, testing and development jobs?
    Like it or not, Mexico and my country are part of NAFTA, and ford's money stays here.
    Only about 30% of a vehicle's cost goes into parts and labour.

Post Likes
    Sheesh. This thread, that I started, was supposed to be about the engineering and technology in the car themselves, not politics or corporate profits.

I put another 173 city miles on the Fusion yesterday and it's a sweet ride for a small car. Quiet, comfortable but not as refined as the Sonata. I especially liked the interior lighting and the thoughtful touches Ford included like 110 volt outlets in the front and rear.

The Sonata was like being in a spaceship. Probably the coolest car I have ever driven. I have no idea what either one costs, I just check them out of the motorpool when I need one. Another hybrid I drove (through work) was a Dodge minivan. It was nice too but it was, you know, a mommy mobile. It lacked the cool factor of the Fusion or Sonata and wasn't near as much fun to drive.

So BaldLoonie, how do you like your Fusion? How long have you had it?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Mine is a 2010 SEL 4 cyl so previous generation to the 2013. I really like it. MPG is great. Usually run around 25-26 in town, vacation last year with 1 of me for 1000 miles was around 36 MPG so way above the EPA estimate. Comfy for 5 and a lummox like me is fine in the back seat. I read that the new one is a bit tighter. Only thing that scares me is Consumer Reports surveys showing Ford reliability dropping dramatically. Mine was in twice last fall for minor issues that turned on the check engine light. I looked at the Sonata when I bought but at the time there were no deals to be had where my Fusion I got for $4000 off sticker.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in