Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am SO confused...

Post Likes
    Put the old one back on and see what happens. I'd tell the apartment managers to explain how you physically damaged the ducts (you didn't). It's extremely unlikely there are any fire or zone dampers in an apartment that could cause that. How old is the complex?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Without looking at it. Nobody can help you here. A thermostat is simply an automatic on and off switch for the hvac system. There is nothing you could have done to affect this unless there is more to the story than you are telling us.
    There is definitely more than I'm telling, but because I've only lived here since September. I don't know what the unit has been through before I moved in... I know that the woman before me didn't use filters (I took the dry vac to the air intake and I now have a new quilt... :-/ ) but other than that, I have no idea what the condition or maintenance has been in the past.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    Put the old one back on and see what happens. I'd tell the apartment managers to explain how you physically damaged the ducts (you didn't). It's extremely unlikely there are any fire or zone dampers in an apartment that could cause that. How old is the complex?
    This seems the most likely to produce results... I guess I'm battling it out with the complex! From the housing design, the complex looks to be from the 1950s or 60s. The wear and weathering on the old thermostat looks to be from the early 80s at least. Hey! We might be the same age! >_<

Putting the old one back in didn't make the cooling process go back to the way it was before I replaced it. And I believe you're correct, that there aren't dampers. Though I can't take the vent off (the maintenance guy painted over the whole thing and I broke the screwdriver. Good ol' Harbor Freight!!), I can see into it clearly with a flashlight and it seems to be nothing but duct from here to where it leads to the unit.

Post Likes
    Well, it seems I have an anomaly on my hands... Apparently, battling with the complex and crossing my fingers that the maintenance people can figure out what exactly has happened so they can fix it.

Thank you all for your responses, anyway!!

Post Likes
    if its hot in there now, wait til summer its gonna be blazing. Is the window open or any other large hole in the wall or closet or something? Are you sure you didn't in fact knock the duct loose somehow? Unless its somehow zoned, which i doubt, then changing the thermostat should not affect airflow.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I have a feeling the heat is running with no blower. You could burn the building down. Call a pro asap.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I have a feeling the heat is running with no blower. You could burn the building down. Call a pro asap.
    she said its running in ac (florida)
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    time to take your new thermostat with you to a new place to live

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    if its hot in there now, wait til summer its gonna be blazing. Is the window open or any other large hole in the wall or closet or something? Are you sure you didn't in fact knock the duct loose somehow? Unless its somehow zoned, which i doubt, then changing the thermostat should not affect airflow.
    The airflow isn't affected, though :-/ The air is moving just like it was (better than move-in day), it's just coming out at a strange temperature in one room. The only thing I did was turn off the unit from the breaker and swap thermostats, and then *poof* hot air blows in one room like the heater's on.

Post Likes
    As you probably allready know your first mistake was moving to that complex, your second mistake was touching the unit and your third mistake was telling them you touched it and your fourth mistake is you are not demanding proper services. I am not a lawyer but time to review your tenants rights. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Is it possible for the heat to run simultaneously with cooling, but only the heat blowing to one room?

Post Likes
    Give up the ghost. At this point you have dug a hole for yourself and you are still digging. I reiterate what I have allready posted although you probably didn't like it I think it is very sound advise. TENANTS RIGHTS in your state.

Post Likes
    Since you refuse to answer my question that I asked a while back. I'm done. I was trying to help you as much as possible without breaking site rules because of your situation.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post
    Since you refuse to answer my question that I asked a while back. I'm done. I was trying to help you as much as possible without breaking site rules because of your situation.
    Crap. I didn't see it. It got hidden between a bunch of deleted posts.
    I didn't buy it, not sure where it's from... the roommate did... but it's a Hunter if that's useful?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tiyanak View Post
    Crap. I didn't see it. It got hidden between a bunch of deleted posts.
    I didn't buy it, not sure where it's from... the roommate did... but it's a Hunter if that's useful?
    The information is useful. The thermostat....not even close. I throw those away everyday. Can't tell you what to do to verify that your tstat is causing the problem, but if you think about it.........

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaCool View Post
    The information is useful. The thermostat....not even close. I throw those away everyday. Can't tell you what to do to verify that your tstat is causing the problem, but if you think about it.........
    You throw those away every day? Well, that would actually explain a little. I looked up local suppliers and found walmart, for around $20. Is it possible for the thermostat to be defective? A short somewhere? Because last night, I replaced the new thermostat with the old one, just to see if it would be the problem. Warm air was still blowing out of the vent, but I also only let it run for a couple minutes. I put my hand up to feel the temperature and it was warm, not hot, but warm. So I figured it wasn't the thermostat. Is it possible I just didn't let it run long enough?

The room that is getting hot/warm air with the ac running holds the vent that is the path of least resistance from the unit. It's the only vent that's a straight shot from the unit...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Give up the ghost. At this point you have dug a hole for yourself and you are still digging. I reiterate what I have allready posted although you probably didn't like it I think it is very sound advise. TENANTS RIGHTS in your state.
    It's not that I didn't think it was sound advice, but it doesn't really help right now... I mean, it does, but while I'm battling with the complex (which, I had an agreement with the complex that I would be allowed to do any repairs considered "basic home maintenance") and if I end up going through the court system, I'm stuck with this room that's unbearable and not livable until that one week in min-Feb when Florida temps finally decide to drop, and then it's back to being a useless room. I'm just trying to gather enough information to figure out how to fix it myself so I can get back to working at my desk.

I'm not looking to be walked through the process, I just need to know where to start looking so I can figure out how to fix it. This isn't my first time renting, and this isn't my first time renting in a place that refuse to fix things. I would love to not live here. I would. But I can't afford a better place. Tennants rights are great to know, but they don't fix the problem right now.

Post Likes
    Best place to start is in the PHONE book under ac repair and service. Pay out of your own pocket since nobody wants to help you, then deal with the slumlord you rent from.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Best place to start is in the PHONE book under ac repair and service. Pay out of your own pocket since nobody wants to help you, then deal with the slumlord you rent from.
    I did. I called and email multiple professional repair companies and none of them want to touch it because I'm renting and not the owner of the property. The reason why I'm on here trying to figure out how to do this myself is because I HAVE NO OTHER OPTION except craigslist. And I'll risk doing this myself before hiring someone off there.

Post Likes
    Hint- If an ac contractor does not want to touch it then why would you???
    Buy a portable ac unit they come with an exhaust vent which goes out of the window (if you have those) and you will be chillin- PEACE OUT.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in