Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Spiritual World is now controlling your HVAC.

Sometimes D-I-Y-er questions really get things stirred up.

H eavenly V oices A re C himing in
    H aunting V oodoos A re C oming
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dumbkid View Post
    Is there fire dampers in the registers or in the duct work at all?
    The best I can tell is that there are not dampers. The vents and screws were painted over so I looked with a flash light... and there aren't any holes in the ceiling for access. So I could be wrong, but I do not think there are any.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    The Spiritual World is now controlling your HVAC.

Sometimes D-I-Y-er questions really get things stirred up.

H eavenly V oices A re C himing in
    H aunting V oodoos A re C oming
    seems ligit >_<

B.B., this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Last edited by beenthere; 01-28-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

dumbkid, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Without looking at it. Nobody can help you here. A thermostat is simply an automatic on and off switch for the hvac system. There is nothing you could have done to affect this unless there is more to the story than you are telling us.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Put the old one back on and see what happens. I'd tell the apartment managers to explain how you physically damaged the ducts (you didn't). It's extremely unlikely there are any fire or zone dampers in an apartment that could cause that. How old is the complex?
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Without looking at it. Nobody can help you here. A thermostat is simply an automatic on and off switch for the hvac system. There is nothing you could have done to affect this unless there is more to the story than you are telling us.
    There is definitely more than I'm telling, but because I've only lived here since September. I don't know what the unit has been through before I moved in... I know that the woman before me didn't use filters (I took the dry vac to the air intake and I now have a new quilt... :-/ ) but other than that, I have no idea what the condition or maintenance has been in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    Put the old one back on and see what happens. I'd tell the apartment managers to explain how you physically damaged the ducts (you didn't). It's extremely unlikely there are any fire or zone dampers in an apartment that could cause that. How old is the complex?
    This seems the most likely to produce results... I guess I'm battling it out with the complex! From the housing design, the complex looks to be from the 1950s or 60s. The wear and weathering on the old thermostat looks to be from the early 80s at least. Hey! We might be the same age! >_<

Putting the old one back in didn't make the cooling process go back to the way it was before I replaced it. And I believe you're correct, that there aren't dampers. Though I can't take the vent off (the maintenance guy painted over the whole thing and I broke the screwdriver. Good ol' Harbor Freight!!), I can see into it clearly with a flashlight and it seems to be nothing but duct from here to where it leads to the unit.

Well, it seems I have an anomaly on my hands... Apparently, battling with the complex and crossing my fingers that the maintenance people can figure out what exactly has happened so they can fix it.

Thank you all for your responses, anyway!!

if its hot in there now, wait til summer its gonna be blazing. Is the window open or any other large hole in the wall or closet or something? Are you sure you didn't in fact knock the duct loose somehow? Unless its somehow zoned, which i doubt, then changing the thermostat should not affect airflow.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

I have a feeling the heat is running with no blower. You could burn the building down. Call a pro asap.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast