+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carlyle replacement ?

Post Likes

Carlyle replacement ?

Replacing a compressor on a liebert unit. Was given a Totaline replacement m/n 6DM8186TLAC0600
    S/n 290PD0271
    Old compressor was rebuild
    m/n 06DF8182AA3600
    s/n C42273T
    Old comp had electric unloader on 1head and I was told I could just swap the old head with unloader onto the new compressor which didn't come with a unloader head. I've never came across this before and not sure on how to proceed. I have a couple pics for you guys but cannot upload right now on my cell phone. I'll post them after when I get home. According to my vendor I should be able to swap heads and be good to go but they are different in my eyes. To be continued... Sorry for the long post
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359401519.439391.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  53.7 KB old comp
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21359401544.732468.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  41.7 KB new comp
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    You have a suction cut off unloader. I believe they no longer require changing the valve plate. You should just be able to swap the head.

Post Likes
    Spoke with caryle tech and was told if the old head doesn't match the new compressor I can clean the old head and valves then install them in the new compressor head. I've never replaced valves but one would think a replacement compressor would be a direct replacement. I bought a bunch of valve plate gaskets to insure I had the right one. Perhaps I'm missing something but should it not be as easy as to install a new but maybe different gasket as the valve head and plate don't match and be done. Thanks for the help. Tomorrow will be another good learning experience. Fitz...
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    It's not too bad. Don't sweat swapping heads/valve/valve plate. Make sure you use the right gaskets. If you do not have it the little green Carlyle book for 06D 06CC 06E is a couple dollars well spent.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freightshaker View Post
    It's not too bad. Don't sweat swapping heads/valve/valve plate. Make sure you use the right gaskets. If you do not have it the little green Carlyle book for 06D 06CC 06E is a couple dollars well spent.
    this is correct.

Look at your head NOT valve plate when choosing gasket ....match it up to your head ...

Post Likes
    Will this help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    Too me it looks likeinthe pic of the old comp,the valve plat is still stuck there, but on the new one its stuck to the head.....might be the problem...

Post Likes
    Coolerick your right. I wasn't aware that I could remove one of the valve stop cap screws and reinsert them to break the valve plate away from the compressor. So I'm thinking I can swap valve plates and install the old unloader head on the new comp. Was just reading up on my Carlyle service book and found the valve plate disassembly section. The new suction valves and valve plate dowel pin plate should assemble on the used valve plate!Just make sure I use the correct gasket? Thanks for all the responses. Fitz...
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    The only problem that I see is that the old unloader head has moving parts inside that are contaminated with the residue from the motor burnout. Your Carlyle dealer sold you a Totaline generic compressor which is not a direct replacement. The fourth digit in your original model number (the letter "F") clearly indicates a suction cutoff unloader head. I would be concerned that the teflon seal on the unloader piston inside the cylinder head is worn or damaged. We see it all the time and replace every one.

Post Likes
    Glag i could help, reman is right abput the unloader piston...might want to replace it now rathet than later

Post Likes
    Have a new suction cutoff unloader head with new solenoid waiting for me at the supply house. Will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Post Likes
    Good stuff, have fun

Post Likes
    Carlyle replacement compressors suck. They don't give you a new electrical box and some times you have to cut the old electrical box a little to make it fit, no gaskets for the oil pump if you have an electronic oil safety, no spare sight glass o-rings if you have to put on a oil level control, not to mention the unloader issues. You need to remember anything else "extra" and buy it or you find yourself scrounging old bits. Luckily, the old parts usually work out, but not always.
    It is a good tough compressor all and all.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in