+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freezestat for 20" ductwork

Post Likes

Freezestat for 20" ductwork

Hello,
    I was hoping someone had a suggestion for a freezestat with a very short cappilary.
    I know ACI has one with a 6', but I was hoping for something smaller, as the ductwork I need to put it in is only 20".
    I think I remember working with one that had a 3' capilary years ago for some unit venitalators, but I don't remember the manufacturer.
    Thanks for any help.

Post Likes
    In the past we've used larger capillary tubes on smaller ducts by mounting them attached to a section of conduit. Cut a hole (smaller than 4"x4") on both sides of the duct, take 2 4x4 box covers (drill a hole for a box connector) and attach a box connector right in the middle of each, put a piece of conduit between the 2 and attach the capillary around it, feed it out a slot in the conduit thru the opposite side of the duct and mount the 4x4 box covers on each side of the duct with a bit of caulk.
    The box connectors end up going on the inside of the duct to support the conduit between each side. You don't have to worry about the set screw since it will be wedged between both sides of the duct once the other side is attached. Feed the capillary out a slot in the edge of a box cover and mount the device on the outside of the duct.
    Makes perfect sense to me, but I've seen it a bunch. Hopefully I've described it sufficiently.

Post Likes
    Good first post. I have also seen this done quite a bit .
    If you can't fix it with JB Weld, Duct Tape, and Ty Wire it has to be replaced.
    No good deed goes unpunished.
    If you want to take off friday to go fishing then make sure you train your helper right.

Post Likes
    I haven't seen one but as another alternative we usually just roll the 7' freezestat up in a nice neat circle in those cases. Works well and I doubt a smaller freezestat will save you much cost if any. Good luck.

Post Likes
    There are shorter capilary line stats , called FROST STATS for use on heat pumps adjustable 14 to 54 F range

Post Likes
    Thanks for the responses. I'm going to go with Autonerds suggestion, seems that will do the trick.

Post Likes
    If the area outside of the duct is heated you do not have to place all of the element in the duct. I have also used the conduit method to mount low limits in small ducts

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in