Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No heat, turn emergency power off, heat returns

I have a 1 year old American Standard Gas hot air Freedom 90 Comfort R furnace. This was purchased brand new from a Trane/American Standard dealer. Woke up to a house with temp in the mid 50's this morning. Blower was running continuously with just cool air blowing. Couldn't turn off the blower...tried both turning down thermostat to < 50, set thermostat to off, and blower kept running. For the fun of it, turned off the emergency power switch to the furnace for a few seconds and turned it back on. Heat returned and has been working fine all day.

I had a call in for service but they were very busy and wasn't sure if they'd be able to get here (didn't want to pay the after hours fee) so that's why I tired the power off/on. When I called up to tell them the furnace was working again and what I did, the operator at the furnace repair said she would ask a service tech on why it all of a sudden worked again. She called back (I did not get a chance to talk to tech directly) and told me what the tech said which was turning the switch off/on reset something, but the furnace would certainly fail again.

Question: Without him seeing the furnace, should I trust his word that this will definitely fail again? What actually possibly could have failed? Does that mean this could fail tomorrow, next week, 2 years from now? I was surprised to have this happen to such a new furnace (1 year old almost to the date).

Thanks for any feedback.

i would agree.......it will lock-out again,by what you say......a limit or safety is opening........it is worth having it checked out..............when was the last time you changed the filter?

Literally about 2 weeks ago. I check the filter every month. Even though they say "up to 90 days", I usually install a new one every 30-60 days.

The tech also told the operator they couldn't check it now until it failed again which seems to say(I'm assuming here) if they tested the part(s) now with the furnace working, it would say all is operating OK.

Could it fail again? Yes
    Will it? Maybe
    I would check the warranty, I would hope that you recieved at least a one year parts/labor guarantee.

That's a most logical answer Senior Tech. Thanks!

Well, as for the warranty, wouldn't you know it.....the labor was 1 year, parts are 2 or 3, some 5 (I don't have an extended warranty). And guess what....I had the furnace installed 1 year 3 days ago! I asked the service manager at the place that installed my furnace (and central AC) if they could cover the service because it was only 3 days over the 1 year labor coverage and was given a straight forward blunt "NO". I was very disappointed by this. Now, if it was closer to a month over the 1 year labor time period, I would more than understand this answer. 3 days after I spend big $$$$ on this install/purchase? Are they in the right? Of course. Does it make a customer like me happy that there's not the slightest bend here? H*ll no! My next step, if I had service done and paid for the labor, I would contact Trane/American Standard. I'm also looking into getting my warranty service done from another Trane/American Standard dealer (if I can).

next time negotiate a 13 month warranty. and try not to be unhappy if it has a problem in 13 months one day.
    Come on, Steve. I know you aren't thrilled but that is life in general. do you have a semi annual service agreement where a tech comes out and checks the system? if not you might consider it. I agree if it locked out once it will do it again.

I would wait till it fails again....

could be a freak occurance, but more than likely it will repeat. As far as telling you bluntly "no", they have to, it will cost them to come out to service it for free, and it's out of warranty, because you said "NO" to the extended warranty. you rolled the dice there, it's not their fault. If they give you lee-way, your neighbor will expect it also, his is only three weeks out of warranty.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Absolutely agree that they are in the right to refuse coverage beyond the warranty. Even 2 hours past midnight when a given warranty expires...couldn't agree more. And you're correct, where do you draw the line....2 days, 2 hours, 3 1/2 days,etc....???

We all know people are in business to make money. From my perspective, I think if I were in business and a persons warranty expired a few days before a problem occurred, I would look at it this way....will this carrot extended to a customer make this person happy? I would say yes. Would this person more than likely recommended me to others(ie more future customers, more $$$)?? I would say yes. I think sometimes it takes a little goodwill, lose a little $ here and there, would more than likely bring in more $ in the future from happy customers recommending my services. And I would keep this goodwill extension under a tight leash....say perhaps 5 days or less.

Bottom line....HVAC businesses must make their call on what's best for their business to maximize long-term profits. As a customer, I accept that when I pick a business to deal with. Just as a business makes their decisions, as a paying customer, I will make my decision on where my future $ goes based on said businesses decisions.

Good discussion....thanks for all the feedback so far!!!!!

Personally, 3 days out of a 1 year warranty I am not going to charge a customer, the goodwill you create by providing excellent customer service and eating a call like that will come back many times over.

Now if it's 5 years old and the customer never did any maintenance, that's another story.

If your furnace needed some maintenance like cleaning, there of course would be a charge, but that company needed to get a tech out to your house.

heybob: I agree and would probably do the same. But there is a difference between you offering and the customer thinking he is entitled. This guy seems nice so I'd cut him a break. How many have you seen who are real jerks and don't deserve the break?
    you have to have a hard cut off. Anything beyond that is good will on the vendors part.

We all know there is a little bit of fudge factor in submitting a warranty part. The real overbearing demanding jerks get little or no break, but you should always go out, many times you can turn it into a clean and check call. My guess is the original poster may need some maintenance.

It's a lot cheaper and a whole lot less stressfull for me to try and make someone happy rather than hold a hard line and burn someones onion.

As far as warranty, I can warranty parts that are as far as a year out of warranty to keep a customer happy without having to get permission from Lennox. But that's not for every customer, just the ones that really deserve or need it.

I agree that this should be checked to possably prevent another failure that may not be so easy to reset (probably on a sat nite).

Also you should have a maintainence agreement so why not tell the installation co. that you would like to get one now, in light of this problem, and schedule a check up. I'm sure they would agree to that. I doubt they want another company servicing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast