Thread: Imsuchanovice

Imsuchanovice

Thank goodness I found this site! I live in PA and it's been frigid. We keep our heat at 71 or 72 during the day, but at night, my husband insists on turning it back to 68. That means that, in the morning, I get up and hit the thermostat turning it up to 72. Today, I happened to notice "auxilliary heating on"! Gasp! Nothing was blinking, but I thought something was wrong. I went down to the basement and saw a blinking red light along with blue and green lights. I mistakenly thought that was the "emergency red light." So, I called my dealer and since it's Sunday---you guessed it---no one can come here till tomorrow.
    I kept going back to the thrmostat and saw that the heat was crawling upward. In a matter of about two hours, it hit 72 and the auxilliary sign went off. No red blinking lights anywhere on the thermostat.
    Then I decided to do a little research and found this site. From what I am reading, this is perfectly normal. Expensive, but normal. Am I right? I can cancel the call to my serviceman? But I should probably stop setting it back at night. Right. Set it and leave it. Right?

Yep, setting a heat pump with electric aux heat cost you more money. It doesn't save you any money. What you saw is normal operation.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Yep, setting a heat pump with electric aux heat cost you more money. It doesn't save you any money. What you saw is normal operation.
    I agree

Many, many thanks. Great site! Saved me hours of angst and loads of $$$.