Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Low Temp Cutout Vs. Balance Point in York Affinity Heat Pump

I am having an issue with a 8 month old installation of a York Affinity 18 SEER 2-stage heat pump with an Affinity gas furnace and Communicating control. It seems that the backup heat is not being staged on at the 35* balance point and running for over 3 hours causing a "pipe freeze protection" fault. I was told by one York tech rep that the thermostat settings override the heat pump jumper settings, and told that they do not by another rep. All in all those guys are not helpful literally 95% of the time. So the low temp cutout is whats designed to completely shut off the heat pump from what I'm told, and there has to be a 10* difference in setting between the low temp cutout and the balance point. So what is the damn difference between the two? It feels like I should just set the low temp cutout to 35* and ignore the balance point.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTree View Post
    I'm told, and there has to be a 10* difference in setting between the low temp cutout and the balance point.
    I'm not intimately familiar with this unit, but do you have the jumpers (BP and LTCO) on the same temperature (e.g.- both at 35f)?

The install manual says when both pins are on the same connector (temp), it will ALWAYS separate the two by 10f. So if you put one on 35f, and the other on 30f, wouldn't it then have a 5f split?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

This is probably a silly question, but the FFUEL jumper is set to "ON", correct?

On a standard heat pump install with electric aux heat. balance point is the outdoor temp where the aux heat is allowed to come on, and lock out is the temp at which the heat pump is no longer allowed to run.

On a dual fuel set up. Balance point becomes the lock out temp. So the lock out setting is ignored, since the heat pump is no longer allowed to run once the outdoor temp has dropped below balance point temp.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I found a York Guard VI control install tips memo that states the LTCO and BP jumpers should be left in the factory default positions.
    LTCO - ON
    BP - 35 deg

Send me an email if you want to look at this " set-up tips " memo.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    On a standard heat pump install with electric aux heat. balance point is the outdoor temp where the aux heat is allowed to come on, and lock out is the temp at which the heat pump is no longer allowed to run.

On a dual fuel set up. Balance point becomes the lock out temp. So the lock out setting is ignored, since the heat pump is no longer allowed to run once the outdoor temp has dropped below balance point temp.
    This makes sense. But wouldn't the balance point be the one to ignore and set the LTCO to 35*? As of now the LTCO is in the default position. It sounds like I just need to set the LTCO to 35* and the balance point to off (if there is even a position for this, no?

-Alfred E Newman

Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    I'm not intimately familiar with this unit, but do you have the jumpers (BP and LTCO) on the same temperature (e.g.- both at 35f)?

The install manual says when both pins are on the same connector (temp), it will ALWAYS separate the two by 10f. So if you put one on 35f, and the other on 30f, wouldn't it then have a 5f split?
    I'm not going back out until tomorrow but the LTCO is at the default position and the BP is at 35* and yes the FFuel jumper is in the correct position, the comm control won't let you mess that up.

-Alfred E Newman

This makes sense. But wouldn't the balance point be the one to ignore and set the LTCO to 35*? As of now the LTCO is in the default position. It sounds like I just need to set the LTCO to 35* and the balance point to off (if there is even a position for this, no?
    There is no "off" for balance point. Balance point becomes LTCO when its set to dual fuel.
    Contractor locator map

Something must be wrong in this case because the heat pump continues to run when the temperature drops below the BP. This is even the case when the BP is set to 40* and its 30* outside

-Alfred E Newman

Are you sure the dual fuel/Ffuel jumper is on both pins.
    Contractor locator map

i dont' even know what are you talking about, me lost

On the defrost board is a jumper marked FFUEL. You enable it so the board knows its controlling a dual fuel set up.
    Contractor locator map

Something must be wrong in this case because the heat pump continues to run when the temperature drops below the BP. This is even the case when the BP is set to 40* and its 30* outside
    As beenthere said, it sounds like the control is not recognizing the FFUEL jumper in the ON position.

The HP to FURN transition in FFUEL operation is only allowed to occur if there is a call for auxiliary heat (W).

The FFUEL jumper is what tells the control to energize W, when Y1 or Y2 is called for below the Balance Point.

The heat pump will run exclusively below balance point if there is NO call for auxiliary heat (W).

Just something to keep in mind:

The control only reads the jumper inputs when the Y1, Y2, and W thermostat inputs are de-energized. So if a jumper position is changed while any of these inputs are energized, the control will not act upon the jumper changes until all three of these thermostat calls are de-energized or power (24 VAC) to the control is cycled.

I think I would also double check to see if the ambient sensor is securely attached to the control board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast