Freon causes explosion?

The link is to a story about a fellow in Baltimore.

What kind of freon was this-- ammonia?
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

"Freon" is a Dupont trade name for the older chlorine based refrigerants. And they were not flammable. Even the blends containing some hydrocarbons wouldn't have caused this.

This smells of a classic case of the news media not having the slightest idea of what they are talking about.

"Explosion" doesn't have to involve combustion. I agree the reporting was poor. Only a low pressure refrigerant would be able to exist in an open container (per the article) for any appreciable length of time in September. As far as I know, all flammable refrigerants are high pressure. Perhaps "open" means unsealed, or the seal is broken. Hard to tell from such shoddy reporting. More people would realize how bad the news reporting is these days if they knew anything about the things being reported.

I saw this elsewhere. I am almost positive it was a leaking acetylene cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    I saw this elsewhere. I am almost positive it was a leaking acetylene cylinder.
    Yes, the reporting leaves a lot to be desired.

One thing that comes to mind is that some of the drop in refrigerants for 22 are propane based...possible source of combustion.

I dont know the number or name but ive heard of them from older guys that use to do this kind of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Izadoka View Post
    Yes, the reporting leaves a lot to be desired.

One thing that comes to mind is that some of the drop in refrigerants for 22 are propane based...possible source of combustion.
    Works great..I figure by the time the evaporator goes in a house fire you are already done anyway.
    Personal usage only ! You dont want to fill someone elses unit with propane whether legal or not for the local IMO