Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anybody know why a system set up and running for about 3 months on tap water with no leaks, then converted to 35% PE Glycol mix immediately began springing leaks at several threaded and about half the sweat joints (pipe dope was compatable per manf and 95% soft solder on copper? This was a job from 20 years ago which still runs through my head during Glycol discussions.

Hope I am not going off topic. Many years ago we used water in the summer in car radiators. Come winter we put the antifreeze (glycol), back in
    it was common to find a new leak in the radiator or heater core. We won't get into "non-permanent" antifreeze. I am dating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by bearfromobx View Post
    Anybody know why a system set up and running for about 3 months on tap water with no leaks, then converted to 35% PE Glycol mix immediately began springing leaks at several threaded and about half the sweat joints (pipe dope was compatable per manf and 95% soft solder on copper? This was a job from 20 years ago which still runs through my head during Glycol discussions.
    I think that the glycol molecules are smaller than water molecules, so it will leak easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12