Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hmm stay bright solder

Have any of you guys had any issues using stay bright solder on glycol systems? I cannot find if you can use it on chilled water with glycol. I have a customer asking me to give him a speck sheet showing you can use on a glycol system.
    If you find it bad 3 different ways- ~its bad~

I have used it a lot on chilled water and heating water systems that have glycol in the water. What concerns do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by hands View Post
    I have used it a lot on chilled water and heating water systems that have glycol in the water. What concerns do you have?
    I was told today by a technician that glycol eats the silver and will come apart after a couple years and I have never heard that. He said they had a bulding they had to redo because of this issue. I have not ever heard of this and I tried to find it on line but could not find you can or can't.

I call BS on this....I've done numerous heated driveway and sidewalk jobs that are still working 12+ years later and the manifold and flat plate hx were done with stay brite. If you "dig up" something, I'd like to see it.

I've worked on numerous chilled water and hot water hydronic systems with high glycol concentrations. I call BS too.
    Chaos equals cash$$$

Quote Originally Posted by teckster View Post
    Have any of you guys had any issues using stay bright solder on glycol systems? I cannot find if you can use it on chilled water with glycol. I have a customer asking me to give him a speck sheet showing you can use on a glycol system.

Your co-workers are partially right, pure glycol will attack silver joins and the heat transfer loop as a whole, thats why in HVAC we use "inhibited glycol", basically the glycol comes mixed with corrosion inhibitors that keep the solution from reacting with oxygen and turning acidic.

Thank you guys for all your answers and I am going to send the coupler that came to a lab to be tested as all the piping is over a brand new class 7 clean room and we don't want to take any chances. The piping was installed four years ago and I want to be sure we are not having a reaction with the glycol. I will also pull a sample and have it tested to ensure it is not acidic.

if it attacks the silver then you would not be able to use any of the common solders use for joining copper together most all of it is 5, 10, 15 , 45,95% silver im thinking BS too

there would be alot of chiller barrells failing inside with glycol running in them

one of our customers is a foundry that makes parts for the aerospace industry, the steel presses are kept cool by two motiv-air chillers and a large glycol loop, years ago they were rebuilding one press and lost couple hundred gallons of glycol,maintenance guys got a hold of uninhibited, pure glycol and pumped the loop with it, time went by and leaks starting to show everywhere, finally at the chiller barrel, we got called in a little too late.

Pure quill glycol isn't good for all chilled water systems. I always used treated glycol. Rust inhibitors, and also touted as containing a chemical that was good for valves and pumps. According to the sales people.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Wow, good to know Valdelocc...see there guys...22 yrs of doing this and I'm still learning.
    The best education I ever had...Master's degree from the University of Life, aka School of Hard Knocks.
    At least this time it wasn't me standing there on a Friday afternoon explaining the reason for a complete system shut down and I'm the one that has to fix it!
    Thanks for sharing the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast