Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Likes

Walk In Freezer Floor or Slab?

I always quote my walk-in freezers with a insulated floor. I have found that the box is tighter and holds temp better. What is your feeling? Has anyone experienced condensation or frost problems under slab floors, even sealed concrete.

Post Likes
    I have seen problems with concrete floors and condensation, pizza huts in florida slapped freezers on top of tile. It makes a nice skating rink

Post Likes
    always insulate a floor in freezer, unless concrete is insulated. I do 5" on mine, in cali we have to. 5" floor with freezer is best.

matt

Post Likes
    I always do manufactured floors in freezers, I've seen too many nightmares in freezers on concrete. You oughta see what happens when water gets in the cracks of the concrete and freezes.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by k_fridge View Post
    I always do manufactured floors in freezers, I've seen too many nightmares in freezers on concrete. You oughta see what happens when water gets in the cracks of the concrete and freezes.

same here, concrete floors in freezers can get UGLY.

Post Likes
    here is a 100 % Guarantee, an uninsulated floor will crack, may take some time but it will crack, and this is not a money back guarantee

Post Likes
    How about a heated slab. A glycol loop off the condensor provides free heat and no ice buildup.

Post Likes
    "How about a heated slab. A glycol loop off the condensor provides free heat and no ice buildup."

sure, but make sure you stop by WalMart to buy a wedding ring as you will be married to the job.

Post Likes
    I don't think I've ever seen a concrete floor in a freezer. Always diamond plate.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    "How about a heated slab. A glycol loop off the condensor provides free heat and no ice buildup."

sure, but make sure you stop by WalMart to buy a wedding ring as you will be married to the job.
    Interesting comment. Why not give an explanation or a reason for this instead of a funny ( not ) comment. Ive seen it , it works, just a circ pump and a liquid loop in a air cooled compressor. A gravity open loop with a resevoir above the roof top condensor. They drive fork lifts in and out and no ice buildup.

Post Likes
    give an example of a non-insulated heated concrete in a walk in freezer floor that you say you have seen.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fire View Post
    Interesting comment. Why not give an explanation or a reason for this instead of a funny ( not ) comment. Ive seen it , it works, just a circ pump and a liquid loop in a air cooled compressor. A gravity open loop with a resevoir above the roof top condensor. They drive fork lifts in and out and no ice buildup.
    If I may...

A refrigerated warehouse is a different animal than a typical walk-in freezer. A glycol loop just wouldn't be feasible or cost-effective in this application, you could put in an insulated floor for a fraction of the cost. I would also point out that a heated floor would not be free, it would add to the heat load of the box thereby requiring more capacity from the refrigeration system.

Post Likes
    thanks k_fridge, here's an additional comment
    first a quote from ASHRAE Refrigeration 1998
    "Floors
    Freezer buildings have been constructed without floor insulation,
    and some operate without difficulty. However, the possibility
    of failure is so great that this practice is seldom recommended"

price this manual at www.ashrae.org

yes, heated floors often used to prevent heaving of floor or excess frost,
    we all know this however not in a non-insulatated floor nor as a correction
    to a non-insulated floor, and almost never in a freezer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast