Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Where to go? That's easy, some where affordable and tropical... Florida it is. See ya soon! Just search for schools or unions that you want to join and see where they are located then make your best guess on where you want to call home

As Bobby has mentioned, previous trade work can be recognized towards your journeyman's. I'm not 100% on how it works across the states but in Canada, if you have your journeyman's/Red Seal in a trade, they can sometimes count that towards another if you are pursuing it. My instructor at trade school was a Red Seal carpenter for 10 years before getting into Refrigeration and I think he carried over 2-3000 hours towards his Refrigeration ticket.

You did say you had experience in the trades, but do you have any documentation/tickets to back it up? Not questioning your skills but these will help your case when it comes to apprenticeship as they look for paperwork.

No
    Always here

I started in the trade as a helper at 46, proceeded through my refrigeration apprenticeship, and have 12 years in at this point. Yes, it gets tough on older backs and knees, but chances are you can move up to supervisor or service manager after a while so there isn't so much demand on your body. Hit the books, ask lots of questions of experienced techs, and read every service and install manual you can get your hands on - knowledge is defintely power in this industry. As you get older, try to gradually work yourself away from the tools - you do still want to be able to golf when you retire, don't you?

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    To the OP,
    43 is not too old to get into this trade. Think carefully before you plunge balls deep into trade school debt and ramen noodle diet. The first couple of years do not pay well. Also, your brain isn't quite as absorbent as it used to be. Don't get stressed if you have to re read things several times over.
    I would be concerned about your immediate and medium term finances. My first year in the trade damn near bankrupted (residential companies) me until I got into commercial and worked like a beast to make a livable wage.

I agree with poster above. Wise old hvac guy said first 5 years don't be money hungry. Be a sponge and learn then you will have the time and the know how to make the real $

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123