+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thermal Imager for HVAC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Thermal Imager for HVAC

I know some of you have talked about using thermal imagers on here. What uses do you use them for? Does the company own the tool or the tech? Can you charge the customer for the "service"? What models or maufactures do you recommend?

The company I work for is looking at getting one. I am trying to find out if the high cost is worth it.

Post Likes
    They are great for finding thermal bypasses and missing/insufficient insulation and duct leaks. Gives a great visual aid to assist in selling duct jobs and thermal envelope sealing work. It's more of an energy auditor's tool. I have the flir B300, it was $10,000 the company pays for it.

Post Likes
    I've literally sold truck loads of insulation with my Ti32.

Name:  CA_01261323303713-M.jpg
Views: 1237
Size:  101.9 KB
    Respect is earned, Honesty is appreciated, Trust is gained, and Loyalty is returned.

Orange County, in a Galaxy far far away...
    Post Likes
    I am a commercial AC service tech. I purchased a Flir i7 and love it. I've found all sorts of extra work just by walking around scanning stuff. Makes it very easy to explain things to customers when they can see the problem. Ie. your system was running 24/7 and people complaining because the supply air is being pulled right into the return... see this "purple cloud" on the screen being drawn into that "orange" hole??

Yes.

There's your problem.

Oh, go ahead n fix it.

Thanks.

I find so much missing insulation in commercial buildings and ceiling spaces its beyond ridiculous, its to the point I should hook up with an insulation company and start flipping in leads.

I would be careful about what you charge for, you will aslo need to get certified as a thermal imager. Flir includes the software and training to do this with the purchase.

I couldn't be happier with my i7, for $1800 it has been worth every penny.
    You cannot cheat an honest man. But that doesn't stop people trying!

Post Likes
    Will a thermal Imaging camera spot a restriction on a freon line?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    Will a thermal Imaging camera spot a restriction on a freon line?
    Absolutely. It's a thermometer with super powers!

Post Likes
    Can you recommend one to buy, that is affordable?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    Can you recommend one to buy, that is affordable?
    The only IR I've owned is the Flir E6. Picked it up on a black friday special from TT tools a few years ago.
    It's great. I could make way more money with it if I got aggressive with selling its abilities.

There are less expensive models forum members use and like, though no experience here with anything other than the E6.

I would recommend going with Flir, as IR is their bread and butter.

Post Likes
    I wish I had one last week when we were looking for the spot that was plugged up in a boiler condensate return line.

Post Likes
    I wish our company would buy one. Facilities we work at check electrical panels to spot bad connections. I could see a lot of possibilities to detect problems, prevent issues, save energy, and make money.

Post Likes
    what is the benefit by using this tool for HVAC purpose? does it tell the inside condition of compressor or duct..etc? i have seen this for electrical purpose. but not used for mechanical especially hvac applications.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by moideen View Post
    what is the benefit by using this tool for HVAC purpose? does it tell the inside condition of compressor or duct..etc? i have seen this for electrical purpose. but not used for mechanical especially hvac applications.
    This thread is six years in the making!

I've been wanting to get one for years now, but just haven't decided on which one to get. The Flir One for android or has been a consideration, as has the Seek, but seems a bit of a hassle (phone connection). Hopefully someone will make some recommendations on recent TI devices.

FLIR HVAC application.

Seek HVAC application.

Post Likes
    I have the flir one pro for the iPhone and couldn’t be happier for how affordable it is.

14. Likes vin lashon liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I want one that shows receiver level on an insulated receiver!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in