Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I am not really concerned about the outside covering of the unit rusting as much as the interior coils rusting. Carrier makes a coastal 16 seer unit but it is not worth the initial cost of the unit either. 30 years to recoup the cost is well just a stupid investment.

http://highperformancehvac.com/trane...-conditioners/

You seem to recognize value.
    Coated coils is an option no matter which brand is selected.
    However, TRANE has the reputation of more effectively addressing condenser life in adverse conditions over a long period.

Post # 8 ... I would not increase the unit size if the current 3.5 ton system can provide 75'F on a 94'F day.
    ................. I can not provide specific specific selection without "seeing" your house or recognizing all appropriate factors are addressed in a reasonable manner.

I am not sure if Returns in all bedrooms is requirement for existing houses.
    I need to read the specific section of the FL Building Code and energy efficiency requirements myself.
    This requirement has been in effect for NEW Construction for about 8 years.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    http://highperformancehvac.com/trane...-conditioners/

You seem to recognize value.
    Coated coils is an option no matter which brand is selected.
    However, TRANE has the reputation of more effectively addressing condenser life in adverse conditions over a long period.

Post # 8 ... I would not increase the unit size if the current 3.5 ton system can provide 75'F on a 94'F day.
    ................. I can not provide specific specific selection without "seeing" your house or recognizing all appropriate factors are addressed in a reasonable manner.

I am not sure if Returns in all bedrooms is requirement for existing houses.
    I need to read the specific section of the FL Building Code and energy efficiency requirements myself.
    This requirement has been in effect for NEW Construction for about 8 years.
    ^^^ what he said X2

Just wondering if any of you would recommend the York up to 18 seer 4 ton Unit below?
    Model No: YZH048 for the Heat Pump Condensor
    Model No: AVG48 for the Variable Speed Air Handler

This unit has what they call a "dog house" to protect the compressor unit. It looks like a plastic trash can around the parts of the compressor unit.
    I think it is a two speed compressor but I am not sure. It seems reasonable priced at $$$$ is what I was quoted. I did my cost analysis on it and it would take me 9 years to recoup the cost of this unit vs the 13 seer brand.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-29-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: price

Been following this thread and it is my belief you are missing the big picture of hvac replacement. Not being critical...because this is a common misconception when Homeowners today pick a new system like they are buying a car.

1. You are focusing on brand and quite possibly will focus on the brand and find the cheapest hack to put it in for you. And then wonder why it doesnt perform.
    2. This is about the last trade left in america, and the TRUE VALUE is in the knowledge of the contractor custom installing this equipment into your unique house.
    3. The "BOX SELLERS" just sell you the equipment and slap in whatever you want. The TRADESMEN sell you the box INTEGRATED with your home to provide long life and comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Been following this thread and it is my belief you are missing the big picture of hvac replacement. Not being critical...because this is a common misconception when Homeowners today pick a new system like they are buying a car.

1. You are focusing on brand and quite possibly will focus on the brand and find the cheapest hack to put it in for you. And then wonder why it doesnt perform.
    2. This is about the last trade left in america, and the TRUE VALUE is in the knowledge of the contractor custom installing this equipment into your unique house.
    3. The "BOX SELLERS" just sell you the equipment and slap in whatever you want. The TRADESMEN sell you the box INTEGRATED with your home to provide long life and comfort.
    x2, Im primarily a York dealer and if I had a house on the coast i would install trane due to their proven track record of their all aluminum condenser design in coastal regions as well as all over the country. In my area I would install York but in your area I would be a Trane dealer due to the product fending off salt water corrosion so well over the years while other brands with copper/aluminum coils only last 5-10 years or less.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

Florida Joy. User search. Lots of threads. Results thread.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread....er-Study/page3
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12