Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrier, Trane, Rheem, RUUD, Lennox: no one sells the same units: advice appreciated

Post Likes

Carrier, Trane, Rheem, RUUD, Lennox: no one sells the same units: advice appreciated

I live in a flat roof row-house in DC and need to replace the package unit on my roof that heats only the 2nd floor (approx 800 sq'); my current system has a cracked hear exchanger. We've been visited by nationals and local independents but no one has recommended the same machines. What direction would you recommend:

RUUD RRRL-C-024 (16 SEER residential, limited Lifetime HE)
    Lennox 15GCSX-024 (15 SEER res, 20 yr HE)
    Rheem RRPL (14 SEER)
    Rheem RQPM (14 SEER)
    Trane 4VCC3024BIO64A
    Trane XL14C (14 SEER, 20ys HE)
    Goodman GPG (15 SEER, 20 yr HE)
    Kenmore (14 SEER)
    Carrier (14 SEER)

We are leaning towards the Trane XL14C (14 SEER, 20ys HE), simply understanding the value of a long warranty on a heat exchange and a stainless steel HE. Any other thoughts on any of these machines would be greatly appreciated. -O.

Post Likes
    Amana would be a higher end goodman with stainless hx and lifetime warranty on hx.

More important than the brand you choose is ductwork air flow and properly matching the new units size closer to duct limitations. I'm assuming its somewhat inaccessible. Looks like you already may have the smallest sizes quoted.

Post Likes
    Brand doesn't matter. All manufacturers make a quality product. You need to concentrate on finding the proper installing company as well as SEER/AFUE ratings.

A good company will perform a manual J load calc. to determine the exact size systems you need. They should also inspect all ductwork and suggest needed modification. Any company that doesn't perform these MUST DO procedures when quoting is not the company you want installing your system.

Remember, a botched cheap install will cost more in utility and repairs bills than a more expensive properly installed system

Post Likes
    The RRRL has a stainless HX, 2 stage heat, 2 stage cool, Copeland's Comfort Alert module, dehumidify on demand.

Post Likes
    Thanks all thus far! They are all using the existing ductwork. Truthfully, I would mostly likely just cry about the cost if I had to also pay for ductwork (I am already pushing 10 for almost all quotes). I believe I am using reputable companies between the nationals and Angie's list. -O.

Post Likes
    Did anyone offer a reasonable explanation for the cracked heat exchanger?
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ofrancois View Post
    Thanks all thus far! They are all using the existing ductwork. Truthfully, I would mostly likely just cry about the cost if I had to also pay for ductwork (I am already pushing 10 for almost all quotes). I believe I am using reputable companies between the nationals and Angie's list. -O.
    Beware! National companies are responsible for some of the worst craftsmanship I've seen.

Post Likes
    Comfortdoc- No, they did not off any reasoning, except that it is a Goodman and it was installed by a rehab/flipper when I purchased the house in 2002. It even gets a bit ugly. This machine had been serviced for most of the years I have had the house. The heat when out last year, I called my home warranty company (who is now out of business) and their technician said it was the thermostat after spending a great bit of time on the roof. Called the company that came out last year (thermostat folks) and they refused to come back to even look at the machine, saying all they did was change the thermostat. I have since paid two companies to confirm the death of the machine. It cooled wonderfully this past summer tho. Heat is dead.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Amana would be a higher end goodman with stainless hx and lifetime warranty on hx.

More important than the brand you choose is ductwork air flow and properly matching the new units size closer to duct limitations. I'm assuming its somewhat inaccessible. Looks like you already may have the smallest sizes quoted.
    totally agree

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    totally agee, could it be undersized duct? sure it could

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortdoc View Post
    totally agee, could it be undersized duct? sure it could

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Brand doesn't matter. All manufacturers make a quality product. You need to concentrate on finding the proper installing company as well as SEER/AFUE ratings.

A good company will perform a manual J load calc. to determine the exact size systems you need. They should also inspect all ductwork and suggest needed modification. Any company that doesn't perform these MUST DO procedures when quoting is not the company you want installing your system.

Remember, a botched cheap install will cost more in utility and repairs bills than a more expensive properly installed system
    also very true.....

Post Likes
    it is my opinion that all the above should be done. this is ALL VERY GOOD ADVISE to you...

Post Likes
    So an undersized duct can crack heat exchangers? No one speculated this out loud to me. I am told that there is flex ducts in my crawl space. -O.

Post Likes
    If we are just picking Brands I would go with York

The Machine isnt gonna be the problem it's the install and proper sizing that matter's

All the contractor's are just matching the same BTU as before? Anyone do a heatLoss?

Post Likes
    OldSchoolMech: We have an energy audit on Mon am; that should provide some of these answers right? -O.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    If we are just picking Brands I would go with York

The Machine isnt gonna be the problem it's the install and proper sizing that matter's

All the contractor's are just matching the same BTU as before? Anyone do a heatLoss?
    X2 on York equipment, but it doesn't matter what equipment you put in if its not properly sized, sealed and ducted. It will have problems and live a short life if proper procedures are not followed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ofrancois View Post
    OldSchoolMech: We have an energy audit on Mon am; that should provide some of these answers right? -O.
    Yes, that is a very good idea. Hopefully they will do a thorough job. Are you paying for the audit or is it "free" with the quote?

Post Likes
    jtrammel: I did not originally think it was connected to a quote but it looks like it may be We are also signed up for something through the city. -O.

Post Likes
    Correction: they do work with the city.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in