Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrier, Trane, Rheem, RUUD, Lennox: no one sells the same units: advice appreciated

Post Likes
    http://www.comfortinstitute.org/whol...e-checkup.html this is what the energy audit should include possibly a little more or maybe less.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-27-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    Starwarsith88HVAC, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    jtrammel- that was helpul. Thank you. -O.

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    You didn't state the size of the existing system but I'd assume it's a 2 ton. Correct me if it's larger.
    2 ton is the smallest unit you can buy so a load calc will tell very little in this situation (matching BTU to the old unit). Remember, he's dealing with 800 sq ft. However- duct sizing will tell all. Since a/c works & blower works- if I was selling this job- I'd find out the TESP on the existing system before I removed anything. That will tell you if the duct system is sufficient or needs mods. So will a visual on ducts but I'm betting ducts are not very accessible if you have a flat roof. At 800 sq ft- I'm betting the smallest 2 ton unit will be oversized. Why aren't you addressing the lower floor? Perfect time to do so IMO.

Post Likes
    percision havc: I have another system that services the basement and the first floor. We have only been surviving the cold because of this system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ofrancois View Post
    OldSchoolMech: We have an energy audit on Mon am; that should provide some of these answers right? -O.
    How did the energy audit go? Did you learn anything about your house?

Post Likes
    i would think the heat exchanger is under warranty .have they proposed just replacing the heat exchanger. I would get either the trane xl14 or the Ruud

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    i would think the heat exchanger is under warranty .have they proposed just replacing the heat exchanger. I would get either the trane xl14 or the Ruud
    Good question? I would suggest the Trane XL 14 package system for the simple reason my company is a Trane dealer and I have installed several of this over the years with no problems. Knock on wood!!! The XL 14 has a variable speed motor, great looking unit and in my opion a good cost effective mid range system.

In my area we don't have that many package units for residential homes. Most of the residential homes in my area have split systems. I am curious also how did the energy audit go? What did they say about your home? While as presion hvac made a good point that no matter what the energy audit showed. The smallest unit made in package system is (2) ton at lease in Trane.

Post Likes
    So even-though I purchased the home in 2002 and was told that there were new machines on the property, both systems are 1999 systems and out of warranty. I can only guess this is why no one suggested a HX change.

We have yet to receive a final report from the energy audit. Unfortunately the audit did not include the air flow in the home systems. He opened the front of the ground floor split system and did a visual inspection. Remarked how clean it was inside and that the system seemed to be in good working order. He did not evaluate the airflow in the system. He did put the fan on the front door and check for problem areas throughout the house.

He would not go onto the roof. -O.

Post Likes
    O! Lessons: I need to caulk more of my baseboards and the top of the window trim. -O.

Post Likes
    So even-though I purchased the home in 2002 and was told that there were new machines on the property, both systems are 1999 systems and out of warranty. I can only guess this is why no one suggested a HX change.

We have yet to receive a final report from the energy audit. Unfortunately the audit did not include the air flow in the home systems. He opened the front of the ground floor split system and did a visual inspection. Remarked how clean it was inside and that the system seemed to be in good working order. He did not evaluate the airflow in the system. He did put the fan on the front door and check for problem areas throughout the house.

He would not go onto the roof. -O.
    Well at least when you get the report you will have as close to actual as possible ach (air change per hour) the contractor can input into the manual j to make the computation more accurate. Too bad the audit wasn't more in depth. That's why it's best to pay for the energy audit.

Post Likes
    http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...in-one-cooling

http://www.climate-zone.com/climate/...and/baltimore/

~ Mid MD
    HDD 4700 ... Heating Degree Days
    CDD 1130

Alternate - no furnace.

Heat pump would be sufficient > 20'F.
    Add one or two 3 kw heat strips.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    dan sw fl: No one else has recommended abandoning my gas. What are the benefits of going that route? -Olga

Post Likes
    dan sw fl: No one else has recommended abandoning my gas. What are the benefits of going that route? -Olga
    The benefit would be not having a gas bill assuming you don't have a gas water heater, range, ect. The heat pumps air is not quite as warm as ng furnace and additional wiring would need to be run to accommodate a heat pump, so it would cost more to install most likely. With the trend of ng prices going down I would stick with ng IMO.

Post Likes
    Thanks all- I have an all gas house. -O.

Post Likes
    with having natual gas i would not down grade from a gas heater to a heatpump , if you had propane it would be differnt.

Post Likes
    OP again - after all your guidance and other research, we settled on a contractor who was offering to install a Trane XL14C. There would be a two-week wait time for installation. We gave him the go ahead. Today, he called and is offering us an upgrade to a Lennox 15GSCX-24 because his Trane vendor said delivery would be longer than two weeks and could not give a new ETA.
    Is a delayed delivery time a common occurrence?
    Is this a bait and switch and if so, to what end?

AGain, thanks for your guidance.

Post Likes
    You gave the dealer a deposit?

Is dealer an authorized Trane dealer?

3 choices

Wait for Trane
    Take a substitute like the Lennox, I would ask for a discount off the Trane price.
    Walk away

Don't understand why the delay and why the dealer can't provide an accurate install date.

This is a pretty middle of the road basic package unit.

Sorry for your trouble.

IMO

Post Likes
    Thank you for the follow up! As you can see- it's giving me some angst and I should not have that. Unfortunately, we have given a deposit. -O.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in