Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    So an undersized duct can crack heat exchangers? No one speculated this out loud to me. I am told that there is flex ducts in my crawl space. -O.

If we are just picking Brands I would go with York

The Machine isnt gonna be the problem it's the install and proper sizing that matter's

All the contractor's are just matching the same BTU as before? Anyone do a heatLoss?

OldSchoolMech: We have an energy audit on Mon am; that should provide some of these answers right? -O.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    If we are just picking Brands I would go with York

The Machine isnt gonna be the problem it's the install and proper sizing that matter's

All the contractor's are just matching the same BTU as before? Anyone do a heatLoss?
    X2 on York equipment, but it doesn't matter what equipment you put in if its not properly sized, sealed and ducted. It will have problems and live a short life if proper procedures are not followed.

Quote Originally Posted by ofrancois View Post
    OldSchoolMech: We have an energy audit on Mon am; that should provide some of these answers right? -O.
    Yes, that is a very good idea. Hopefully they will do a thorough job. Are you paying for the audit or is it "free" with the quote?

jtrammel: I did not originally think it was connected to a quote but it looks like it may be We are also signed up for something through the city. -O.

Correction: they do work with the city.

http://www.comfortinstitute.org/whol...e-checkup.html this is what the energy audit should include possibly a little more or maybe less.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary, or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 01-27-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Starwarsith88HVAC, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask questions of the OP here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

jtrammel- that was helpul. Thank you. -O.

You didn't state the size of the existing system but I'd assume it's a 2 ton. Correct me if it's larger.
    2 ton is the smallest unit you can buy so a load calc will tell very little in this situation (matching BTU to the old unit). Remember, he's dealing with 800 sq ft. However- duct sizing will tell all. Since a/c works & blower works- if I was selling this job- I'd find out the TESP on the existing system before I removed anything. That will tell you if the duct system is sufficient or needs mods. So will a visual on ducts but I'm betting ducts are not very accessible if you have a flat roof. At 800 sq ft- I'm betting the smallest 2 ton unit will be oversized. Why aren't you addressing the lower floor? Perfect time to do so IMO.

percision havc: I have another system that services the basement and the first floor. We have only been surviving the cold because of this system.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast