Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Radon Sensors

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,009
    Post Likes

    Radon Sensors

    Any of you guys monitor radon in a building?

    Looking for a sensor that can measure radon with 4-20ma / 0-10v output and not having much luck.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Likes
    I have never done it.
    I found this product with a 4-20ma or 0-10v output:
    http://www.barnsteadthermolyne.com/e...ctPDF_7597.pdf

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    60
    Post Likes

    Thumbs up

    We have a few homes that were built in an area identified as a Radon Hot Zone.
    We were required to add forced ventilation into the crawl space.
    But no requirement to monitor.
    Most of the home buyers probably didn’t read the mouse print of their purchase agreement, and have no idea the blowers are in the crawl.
    There was no requirement to supply any alarms to notify the residence if the blowers fail either.
    If anyone knows of a good monitoring system for Radon; I would be interested in that info as well

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,009
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    I have never done it.
    I found this product with a 4-20ma or 0-10v output:
    http://www.barnsteadthermolyne.com/e...ctPDF_7597.pdf
    Looking at the datasheet its hard to tell if it will output 4-20 in relation to radon or if it just measures the radon to increase accurcy of the particulate count.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,009
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
    We have a few homes that were built in an area identified as a Radon Hot Zone.
    We were required to add forced ventilation into the crawl space.
    But no requirement to monitor.
    Most of the home buyers probably didn’t read the mouse print of their purchase agreement, and have no idea the blowers are in the crawl.
    There was no requirement to supply any alarms to notify the residence if the blowers fail either.
    If anyone knows of a good monitoring system for Radon; I would be interested in that info as well
    Google the "Safety Siren Pro Series" and you will find a suitable device for residential stuff. I need something for commercial buildings, preferably with wall & duct mounted options.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    60
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Google the "Safety Siren Pro Series" and you will find a suitable device for residential stuff. I need something for commercial buildings, preferably with wall & duct mounted options.
    Great..
    I'll check into this line.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,389
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Looking at the datasheet its hard to tell if it will output 4-20 in relation to radon or if it just measures the radon to increase accurcy of the particulate count.
    I found this other pdf titled The State-of-the-Art in Sensor Technology for DCV. It's a bit dated (2005), but it has some good info on various emerging sensor technologies at that time.

    Radon starts on page 70, and there's a nice table on pages 73-74 with various different sensors available at the time. It seems like the majority have a rs-232 interface.

    The paper also mentions a DCV system in a lecture theater in Hong Kong using radon along with CO2 as a controlling variable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4
    Post Likes
    I am just wondering if you had any success finding any Radon monitoring equipment that could be connected to a BAS. I have a customer with the same requirements that you mention in your original post. I have been looking and am not having much luck. In this day with all the concerns for IEQ i would have thought there was something readily available. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Quality Home Comfort Awards