Thread: Burnham mpo147-dvs trouble

Post Likes

Hmm Burnham mpo147-dvs trouble

I have two mpo147-dvs. They have been nothing but problems. I do not believe they were installed correctly and I have had well over 10 different technicians look at this system and have spent thousands over and above installation to maintain and keep them running. I am an electrician not a boiler tech. I do not want to diy. I want to pay a qualified person who can get these (I have TWO) running right and who will do maintenance and emergency calls. I live in RI and have just had techs here for 10 hours yesterday and although it was great that they showed up and they got it running, I can't help but think that I am throwing good money after bad by fixing this system. They suggest changing the guns to Reillo. They say the mpo147-dv is a nightmare and no one likes them. I tend to agree as they have never run correctly. What should I do? I have lockouts due to wind blowing back on the vents and causing carbon build up causing the eye to not see the flame. I built a wooden "wall" to prevent wind from directly hitting the vents while allowing the vents to breathe. Still have the problem. I have the double line system. The tanks are outside but in a shed and haven't problems with gelling until this year. My current tech did a great job of getting the system going but he will not do emergency calls and I have a tenant with a kid. I called my old company Malloy Oil and they refuse to give me a service contract on these systems because they are terrible and they didn't install them. I understand that but am in a pinch. I cannot get hod of the guy who installed them he never even finished the job so really 2 guys installed them and neither did it right. Gratefully,m Malloy did do the emergency call. The tech replaced the nozzle because it was a different one than the factory specs but my last boiler guy said the nozzle he put in will work better. The first tech also replaced the igniter and a gasket. He also said there was a clogging in the oil line and had to do the push pull to unclog it and he dumped 2 bottles of "HOT" into my tank. I know it was getting plenty of oil but I let him do his thing. He got it running after 4 hours. Ten minutes after he left my carbon monoxide sensors went off and I had to open all the windows but that did the trick and they haven't gone off since. An hour after that, steam was shooting all over the basement out of the high vent and I had to shut it down and call them back. They came back and said the control box failed to shut down the boiler after reaching temps over the high limit of 180. The new tech changed the control box 4 times and finally had to call his boss who figured out the thermocouple in the well had a different diameter than the new control boxes. The controller was working fine before they came, now they go though 4 of them? Why did the boiler go over 180 in the first place? Was it the hot chemical that he poured in the tank earlier causing it to burn hotter? They say they have to come back and replace my well to accomodate the new thermocouple. Also, they say my low water cut of needs replacing. That was working before yesterday too. Who can I get who I can trust to set this system up correctly? Service companies bill me hourly. I can't afford 2000.00/year per system and still not get good results. What should I do?

Post Likes
    Started a new thread.

Post Likes
    That (those) are good boilers and should really not be giving you problems. As you suspect, installation is the issue. I will tell you, that with the Beckett burners, you MUST use the factory specified nozzle or all you will have are problems, guarantied. Why are they hooked up with two lines? That's another recipe for problems, ESPECIALLY with outside tanks, whether they are in an enclosure or not. Are they sidewall power vented or naturally drafted in a chimney? Are they supplied with the external combustion air kits or taking their combustion air from the structure? Are they piped with a primary/secondary configuration? Are these companies using combustion analyzers and smoke testers to set them up or are they guessing. Wish I lived closer, I'd like to see the systems. Post some pictures if you are able.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Answered one of my own questions, MPO147-DS. I am servicing one of these this morning only it is a TB instead

DEM

Post Likes
    they are mpo147-dv the "s" I used was to indicate there are 2. There are 2 oil lines supposedly to prevent it having to be primed if it runs empty. There may be other benefits to having 2 oil lines but I am not a boiler tech. There are no power vents. I think the dv stands for direct vent. The vents are basically a tube within a tube that go though the wall of the boiler room. The boiler gets its fresh air and it exhausts from the same assembly. That is why when the wind blows against the house, it forces some of the exhaust back in causing carbon build up. They are using proper testing equipment. I have some of the print outs from october when I had them cleaned and serviced. I never really turned the heat on until mid to late November and at that I kept it really low like 60.

Post Likes
    Name:  2013-01-29 02.45.24.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  40.4 KBName:  2013-01-29 02.45.49.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  41.3 KBName:  2013-01-29 02.46.33.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  33.1 KB

You asked for pics. Here are 3. I focused on the system as a whole in one. One is the oil lines going into the system and one is of the last test done in october.

Thanks for the feedback. David

Post Likes
    With regards to the double oil line setup, more disadvantages than advantages, especially with external oil storage. Depending on the lift and total length, Tiger Loops might be a good option. I don't have a good view of the system piping from the pictures you suppled so I can't make any observations. The is something about the vent system that does not look right, I will pull up the install manual and review it later. Along the same lines, do the vents terminate on the wind side of the structure and how far above grade level are they?

DEM

Post Likes
    There is wind occasionally, it is strong. I have erected a structure to block most of it from the vents outside. The vents are just a couple of feet off the ground, facing down. I will attach a pic. The top scoop on the vent is for fresh air and the larger one at the bottom is exhaust. The are kept free of debris and I check them regularly.Name:  2013-01-29 13.56.40.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  48.2 KB . Can take more pics if it will help. Specifically what do you want?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in