Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best air handler with ECM for hydro air

What air handlers should I consider for a hydro air system (hot water coil) that use ECM variable speed motors? I am aware of Carrier and Trane. Are there other manufacturers I should consider? How does Thermo Pride compare?
    Last edited by rumn8r; 12-25-2006 at 02:04 PM.

All ECM motors function the same.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

So no difference among brands of air handlers that use ECM motors in gauge of sheet metal, ease of adding hydro coils, control of the ECM motor, etc.?

Current ECM motors used in the HVAC industry are all produced by GE. All of them function the same as far as air considerations. The newest generation of GE ECM motor has a few additional diagnostic and control features that make no difference for this application.

As far as cabinetry, all air handlers are capable of having a sheet metal transition to a hydronic coil attached to them.

There are some brands that have ECM motors in a blower blower cabinet without a DX coil if you are looking at a heating only setup or have a DX coil already in the system.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Actually, Nidec ECM fan motors are used in automotive and other small HVAC applications. The main advantages are high efficiency and variable airflow. And even smaller ECM fan motors are found in newer laptop computers and compact desktops. (I have installed a surplus automotive ECM fan in my 64 bit workstation. It got the temperatures way down!)

For the big ones, though, GE may be the only one.
    EDIT: Danfoss manufactures ECM compressors for automotive and solar use. But that's not a fan motor.

First Company makes 2 lines of variable speed air handlers with DX cooling coils and hot water heating coils.

1.5-5 ton cooling with up to 132,400 btuh hot water heating, no pump.

1.5-5 ton cooling with up to 90,700 btuh hot water heating and built in pump.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I'm bringing this thread back because I have the same question but now that it is 4 years later I am hoping to hear better input.

I can't stand First Co, just think that they're cheaply made. I'd be open to input that would sway my opinion though.

I need a hydro air handler, would like variable speeds, & I'm adding A/C. I really like the Lennox CBWMV, but don't know about getting that because of availability of parts. Although I currently work for a lennox dealer I probably wont be there forever considering that I'm only 29. I fear having to replace a lennox part (in say 8 years) that I wont be able to get immediately when I do need it.

If you want a truly good hydronic air handler you need to look at Ecologix, and Summeraire. They are both made in Canada and can be tough to find, but they are truly designed to be hydronic. Not just slapping a hot water coil in a standard air handler and calling it a day. They were designed to be used with tankless water heaters and you get much better heat even with the lower temp. water. Come to think of it Rinnai now makes a decent air handler. The Ecologix I used uses sign wave shaving to vary the motor speed. I like this because you can replace it with a $ motor. I have used them to heat houses with Rinnai tankless water heaters and got great results even with 120 deg. inlet water. You will need to add the ac coil to the system, but that is minor. Look at the btu delivery rate at the lower temps., and you will see what I mean about delivering more heat.
    www.ecologix.ca
    Last edited by beenthere; 02-06-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Removed price

Nice looking unit.
    But, it doesn't have any better performance specs when it comes to air movement. over a air handler that you would add a hydro coil too.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

They all have similar airflow. It's the btu output at the lower temps. That is the ticket. Plu it is a well made unit and very airtight. As soon as the money is right I will be installing one in my house with a split 2 stage geo. heat pump with Rinai hot water backup heat.

Quote Originally Posted by freonjohn View Post

It's the btu output at the lower temps. That is the ticket.

Isn't that more an effect of GPM and CFM for any coil.

Plu it is a well made unit and very airtight.
    They do look like they are made nice and air tight.
    Contractor locator map

hydro air

why hydro air? Does everyone really think it will help with dry air. It doesn`t do anything but add extra trouble down the line. Best heat is radiant or baseboard.

Quote Originally Posted by allamericanclow View Post
    why hydro air? Does everyone really think it will help with dry air. It doesn`t do anything but add extra trouble down the line. Best heat is radiant or baseboard.
    No one is saying it will do anything for humidity.

Cast iron baseboard is better then copper baseboard. But still has nothing to do with the original post.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast