Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: old school boss

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    It may have saved him money now but he is going to lose a lot of money on a warranty repair....
    i have 2 buddies both work for big nation wide companies mainly residential. he tells me they dont even carry vacuum pumps, on new installs they dont pull vacuums because it creates future work. in a couple of years when the compressor fails yes its under warranty but not the labor! its messed up for the home owner who gets shafted i dont agree with the companies policy. here you come flush the lines and purge then pull good vacuum and the unit last for 10 years no leaks or comp replacement in a way you shafted yourself. honestly if its a random customer they are going to think my unit last 7 plus years problem free because its a new unit not because john went the extra mile to do all the extra's.

I don't think it'll last that long. I would guess 2-4 weeks....

Quote Originally Posted by nchvac guy View Post
    We just finished new install i was getting ready to pull a vac boss says dont worry about that its a new lineset .so i do what im told guess he wanted me off the clock.
    It may be your bosses company, it may be your bosses decision to make, but it's YOUR face that the customer will FOREVER associate with that work.

Bail, dude. Bail now.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Duhhhhhhh How does it have to do with and "old school boss"? I have more problems with new companies with all ages of tech not setting up systems correctly these days.

In my day, before your were born probably, we had real men vacuum pumps- not these sissy fish tank pumps of today. They were so big and so heavy that a lot of times we had to put the apprentice on the hood to keep the front wheels on the ground when a few of us loaded the thing in the back.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaT View Post
    Duhhhhhhh How does it have to do with and "old school boss"? I have more problems with new companies with all ages of tech not setting up systems correctly these days.

In my day, before your were born probably, we had real men vacuum pumps- not these sissy fish tank pumps of today. They were so big and so heavy that a lot of times we had to put the apprentice on the hood to keep the front wheels on the ground when a few of us loaded the thing in the back.
    haha. I like your posts Delta. Maybe you should have kept the horses harnessed to the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    haha. I like your posts Delta. Maybe you should have kept the horses harnessed to the wagon.
    That was before our Model T service truck. Why, our biggest problem pulling a vacuum ( and here is where the "pulling a vacuum" term came from) was sucking out and pulling the TXV through the coil and down the suction line and hearing the vacuum pump chew it up and spit it out.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

I had an old boss tell me to "just purge a little gas through" after opening up the liquid line to inspect the orifice.

Can you say "high head?" or "fluctuating pressures" umm "noisy line set " or jeez maybe eventual "compressor hard start?" ...

Yea... not evacuating is a cardinal sin similar to brazing w/out N2... Either will cause issues down the line.

The post about a chat with the boss sounds like a good idea... and the advise about looking for greener pastures sounds good also!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12